Saturday, January 15, 2011

Scrumptious Soup

I love soup. I picked out a soup recipe in a Crock Pot cookbook, and tweaked it a bit because Wally World didn't have any low fat hamburger and I'm trying to lose weight. So I got turkey burger instead. Paul was leery - not beef!?!?

Here's the recipe - I tweaked a bit more as I realized in my cleaning frenzy I tossed the soy sauce.
1 lb ground turkey - 93% fat free and they mean it. I didn't have to drain it
1 cup carrots sliced fairly thin
1 cup celery
1 onion diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 8 ounce tomato sauce
1 package onion soup mix
you're also supposed to use 1 package Italian dressing mix, but I realized I'd purchased Ranch. (yes, that's how I cook, ridiculous - no?) so I put in a little of it but not a lot
seasoned salt
seasoned pepper
3 cups of boiling water
Soy sauce - can't remember how much, but I used Worcestershire instead, plus a bit 'o hot sauce for fun.

2 cups cooked elbow mac (I used wheat mac)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
parsley

Brown the turkey and put in the crock pot with all fresh stuff. Cook all that stuff on low for 6-8 hours. 1/2 hour before you eat cook mac and put it in the mix with cheese. Add parsley right before you eat. Quite tasty and guess who said the turkey was a nice touch? Yes, my poolboy. I love soup - especially this time of year. I'm going to make this recipe again!

No comments: