Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Near miss

this wasn't the truck I saw...and it looked a lot bigger in my rear view mirror. I could actually see an orange wire and a black wire in my mirror - that's how close it was to me...
Fate and destiny. And some luck. Divine intervention? Who knows...something or someone was watching over me today as I drove to Des Moines today in less than ideal weather.

I worked at home yesterday ya know - snow day. I was almost like the olden days - home on a week night. But this a.m. I was antsy - figuring I needed to pick the optimal time to drive up here - after the big snow but before the wind picked up. And before the morning commute. That's when all the idiots are out!

So about 9 a.m. I took off - I couldn't stand the pressure any longer! I headed east on Highway 34 - the ditches aren't quite as deep that way, and I-35 is a bit less crowed than i-80. Yikes- Highway 34 was solid ice at least an inch thick. Bad start to my trip with a wreck right on the edge of Creston. But I kept going - at about a 35-40 mph clip.

Once I got to the Clark County line the roads got a little better. I approached Osceola and a car pulled over at passing lane for me. Thanks buddy! I did the same for the semi behind me. The truck approached and WHA? As it pulled up by my bumper, the trailer swung around towards the ditch - I could see it in my rear view mirror. WHA? It was no longer attached to the tractor...SHEEIT. It gradually swung into the ditch. I made a guttural noise and punched the gas - speeding up while the tractor and the car we had both passed pulled over. I was out of there...

Adrenalin pumped! Soon I was at Interstate 35, ready to take on that battle next. The wind was blowing by then...and between that and ice, it too was interesting. My 1.25 hour commute had turned into a 2 hour jacked up commute. But I could easily have been wiped out by that trailer - he could have been right next to me when the thing let go. Kinda creeps me out. And makes me feel blessed. And lucky.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

oh man, so scary! i don't want you driving to and fro dm anymore dearest mommy.

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the time the semi lost its load of ceramic pipes right in front of mom and I just outside of Council Bluffs. YIKES! I have fears of passing them to this day from that...........glad you are okay seester!