Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Our State Capitol

I was at the Iowa State Capitol today for the Iowa Recycling Association's legislative event. It was at 7:30 a.m. so I had to leave Creston (after the MLK holiday) around 6 a.m. to get to DSM early enough to attend. It's not quite as bad as flying - but one does have to go through security to get into the statehouse. So I got organized so I could whip through when I got there.

It's really cold here in Ioway. My nose was running like a racehorse when I got inside the door. I chatted with all the IRA (not Irish Republican Army) members - and the legislators slowly began to shuffle in. A young man who is a high school student from Waukee took photos. He is a legislative page, all excited about the new session. 

I talked to two legislators from Osage - telling each that I used to live there and work at Fox River. I spoke to one from Mason City who knew Dr. Dunker. and Bill Rowland from the landfill. Two new guys are from Jackson County. One was from Harlan - she was in a hurry. Another was from Ottumwa. Towards the end, my very own representative, Cecil Dolecheck stopped by. It was very nice to see him.

Seeing all the legislators, explaining what I do - and why it is important. All in a building where laws are formulated and passed. History is made. Cool stuff.

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

we were just talking tonight about how cold it can get in iowa--like walking to class in the winter at isu and barely being able to breathe bc it's so cold.

ps, i like the "about me" section of your profile.