Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Diet first

It's a first for me. I've never really dieted before. At least not on purpose with a specific plan. So I joined Weight Watchers in mid December with a plan to learn how much I should eat each day. And to learn to make healthier food choices.

I didn't plan to drop a bunch of weight. Maybe a few pounds. Weight Watchers says you must have at least 5 pounds to lose. After the 2nd time I weighed in, the leader said I needed to tell her a goal. I decided pick a weight I was comfortable with - especially in all those winter clothes!

It's not been easy - especially over the holidays and traveling for work this past couple weeks. But I have made some changes in my eating style. I've replaced sweets for fruit. I learned to make better restaurant choices on the road.

And I did it! I lost 6 pounds a whole month ahead of schedule! Yesterday at our regular meeting I stepped on the scale not knowing just what it might say. I knew our scale at home was telling me I was lighter than I can remember. I received a charm and a nice ovation from the other members. Lots of others have lost 5 pounds and/or 5% of their body weight - they got claps too. But I was the only goal-maker.

So I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. As a reward I'm now on the "maintenance" program of WW. That's 6 more points a day - to see if my body will stay at this weight. I actually wouldn't mind losing 2 more pounds. So we'll see.

But I'm feeling pretty good about myself this week - I set a goal and I worked hard to achieve it!

3 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

congratulations, mommy!

amy e. goldsmith said...

ps: i left a comment in response to your comment on my blog the other day. i wish there was a notification email for that.

Kris said...

Congrats! Maintenance has proved to be harder than losing for me so far... not quite as glamorous and exciting to see the numbers stay the same as when they were falling. Good luck, though - WW really does help you make good choices, which will eventually come subconsciously. :)