Friday, January 7, 2011

Fried

I arrived home in Creston today fried to a crackly crunch. I mean toasted. I have not been in need of a weekend this badly in the two years since taking the DNR job. Whew!

The two days of auditing in Davenport and Dubuque were very wearing. The twelve hour days - between traveling and talking, questioning the auditees constantly during the audit. I'm not used to the constant "on" position. Tough on this old broad!

Day one we were in Davenport until 4:30 or so - in a cold room and touring facilities in and outside. The agency there has a delightful young energetic staff. I really like them! We headed to Dubuque, stopping in my college roomie, Vicki's hometown of DeWitt to gas up. Lucky for me Jeff took over driving duties. Pulled into the Fairfield Inn about 6:15 PM and at at Olive Garden next door. I had a nice Lemondrop that night. Slept lousy. Missed my bed (or my Joan bed).

Got lost trying to find the Public Works office in Dubuque - stress right away Thursday a.m. Another tough morning of constant talking. I get sick of hearing myself talk! After lunch we headed to the landfill on the west side of town, another cold visit to facilities. Long drive back with much discussion - I should have held me tongue more. Self flagellation later. We arrived in DSM about 6:30 - I had to gas up the car and arrived back at Joan's about 7:15 - decided not to head to Creston as last time I drove home late on a Thursday I ended up with car damage...

Went to bed exhausted before 9 PM. Woke up at 2:30 AM with my fretter all jacked up. Worrying about writing up the audits. Decided to read a bit to take my mind off of work stuff. Slept in until 6 AM and discovered snowy roads for my commute. Yuck! Headache popped up at work and didn't get rid of it all day. A bit slick on my drive home to Crestonia but my trusty Subaru got me here safely - left work about noon. Glad to be home! Still hurting head and quesy stomach - pizza at A&G with McKims - Ryan and Megan are visiting, and McFees. Pop another Frova and drink pop. Finally feel better. YAY. My weekend is here!

No comments: