Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dreaming of vacations


Betso is coming to Florida! I haven't even allowed myself to think about our annual trip to Marco Island so far this winter. But after the rough driving week of this past week, it's time.

I had a near miss with a semi on my drive to DSM Tuesday. Jeff McFee tells me semi drivers have to hit a switch to release their trailers. So the driver must have done that in order to keep control of his tractor. Whatever happened - scared the bejesus out of me! Then Friday - I was in Centerville with my EMS Audit Team, Jen (my Supe) and Jeff (a co-worker). I'd left my car in Albia, on Hwy 34 so I could drive home after our audit and tour of the Rathbun Solid Waste facilities.

We finished up in Centerville around 2:30 PM and started north - with a stop on the way. Jen had spent New Year's Eve with her whole fam at Honey Creek Resort at Lake Rathbun. It's a beautiful destination resort built by Iowa DNR right on a huge man-made lake. See the link. It's a great place for a family reunion.
http://www.honeycreekresort.com/

Her eight year old daughter left her slippers there - Jen had thoughts of retrieval. No such luck though... It's a cool place - worth a stop if you ever get the chance. About then Jeff got a call from his partner Nick - mentioning freezing rain in DSM. Paul had called earlier saying the same thing about Creston. #%*$(#

So we got on the road. When I got my car in Albia, sure enough all sorts of precip was falling - rain, sleet, snow. The pavement was wet but I couldn't tell if it was slick and really didn't want to test it. I went about 50 mph as I headed west towards Chariton - thinking to myself, "I can always give my friend Leslie Goldsmith a call!" (recall that is where alternative Leslie and Paul Goldsmith live)

But I didn't feel any slip sliding, so I kept forging ahead, listening to my book - the third one I've gotten of the trilogy - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm on #2. When I got to Osceola (home of our friend and new Lt. Gov Kim Reynolds), the pavement finally dried up. Phew. I need a massage after stressful work (these EMS audits are a bitch) and driving. Plus I need a lemondrop martini or two (took care of that Friday night...)

So last week Betsy said she was looking into airfare to go to Marco while Cindy, Paul and I are there. Paul may get to drive 3 Miss Daisys around! That would be such fun. I haven't even allowed myself to think ahead about my paradise...but this week I start to! And now Bobbie has booked us on a summer vaca in San Antonio along with McKims and Higgins. Always a good time with the tailgating group! I love having stuff to look forward to.

No comments: