Sunday, January 23, 2011

Don Kirshner, Crestmoor


This picture was taken last summer after Kristina and Caleb's wedding, outside of Crestmoor Clubhouse.




Mike McCauley - my HS BF - really nice guy. Loved his family too. Last I heard he now lives in Michigan.


The "Man with the Golden Ear" has passed to the great rock concert in the sky. Don Kirshner - my guru of all things rock of the early 1970's through 1981. He came to my attention because in the days before cable TV.

I used to drag my boyfriends home on date nights for end of the night necking on the couch to the tunes of Don's late night show. (I know this kinda goes against the "de-sexed" description of my blog. Sorry to anyone who may be related to me whom I may offend with thoughts about their mother in her pre-married days. You may want to skip this part of this blog).

Mike McCauley and Craig Both. That's about it for my HS boyfriend selection. I was, let's say, pretty much a good Catholic girl. So the boys didn't get too far on that couch. Still, I was careful to slide the pocket door to the hallway to my parents' room shut - figuring that would:
  1. Cut the Don Kirshner show noise
  2. Give time for clothing adjustment in case a parent woke up and needed a drink of water
Don Kirshner was some kind of star picking genius of rock bands, comics, etc. He owned several record labels and had a part in the making of the stardom of Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller, Allman Brothers, Bee Gees, Ramones, the Police and David Bowie. He was also in on the success of the Monkees. Other groups mentioned are Kansas and the Archies - "Sugar, Sugar". And songwriters like Carol King. Talk about a track record.

His show was nothing fancy. He'd come out and introduce the band - just like a concert - thus the name Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. And they'd play. I think they should do more of that these days - I might learn to like more bands. Don himself was no ball of fire - he'd never make it today as an announcer. Today they'd have some flashy, sexy on screen personality. Fond memories of Don and his show - and I read he was married to the same woman for 50 years. Here's to you Don! RIP

Last night, after church we pre-partied at McFees and then proceeded to Crestmoor - invited by McKims for Steak Night. There was a big crowd there. I enjoyed a nice big vodka tonic and chatting with folks I hadn't seen for a while.

Neighbors Kit and Jeff Mostek. Kit was interested in Amy and Jud's latest doings. We heard about what their twins are up to - 8th grade basketball these days. Dave Driskell is always good for a laugh. The Coen fam was celebrating matriarch Dora's 86th bday - Kate and Mike filled us in on their son John and wife Jackie's three children. That couple was one we sponsored in our church. Favorites actually.

Whenever we go to Crestmoor, I can't help but think about the awful thing that happened there. The sexual assault (at least that's what they were convicted of) of a bar maid by two law enforcement officers late one night three years ago. I saw Missy Sickels Friday night at A&G. What a tragedy - no matter what happened the results are that three little girls and a wife are without a father and husband for 17 years. I don't know the victim - and admit I don't know the repercussions to her.

Regardless of the location, we did have a fun night on a cold and snowy, blowy winter night in Iowa. We were home before 10:30 PM. I had a great steak (with leftovers for today) I didn't drink too much - another benefit of Weight Watchers - booze is too many calories! Small towns can be boring. But they have their benefits - last night was a fun night in a small town.

No comments: