Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Old stompin' grounds




So I cut off his head with my cell phone camera - but Pat's tree has gotten muy largo - and yes, Kay has purchased ugly fake flowers for our father's grave. In addition she has put a frog by there. It's really sweet of her - and I'm not being sarcastic this time - I love her for it. I'm glad she remembers him like that.


I was in my old stompin' ground today - Atlantic. I went there on biz - the Cass County Landfill is participating an Environmental Management System (EMS) pilot project that is my baby at work. So it was kinda nice going to town on a nice sunny day for work.

I stopped at the cemetery on my way into town. Our baby boy Patrick (it may have been 18 years, but he'll always be my baby) is buried there along with 4 other generations of the Bullocks. The tree our friends purchased in honor of Pat has gotten huge! It was nice to have a few quiet minutes at the cemetery.

I arrived at the landfill site around 8:15 a.m. - drove through Grove City on my way there - it's about 5 homes, but is a gorgeous rolling area on the curvy blacktop road just off Highway 71. The consultants - Laura from Dallas and Tom from Ohio got there shortly after. Shelly, from the Iowa Waste Exchange was there too. Wendy Wittrock is the facility director. We spent some time talking biz and touring the facility. It made me miss my work at the local landfill - but not that much.

At lunch we headed to the old Whitney Hotel - I had a turkey ruben. It was good. I enjoyed chatting with Tom, Laura and Wendy. I've known Wendy for the past 10 years as we both ran landfills and worked together on some projects. Tom and Laura have been crucial to this EMS project. Laura is the main reason we hired this firm for the job, and the two of them have kicked ass! It was fun getting to know them a little better.

After lunch I trotted up the street to check out the shoe selection at Browns. Cindy Abild asked about you Betso - wondered if you were coming to the class reunion. I told her that now that you're going to LA this summer Atown was prolly out...

I was home in Creston by 3PM working. Will be here the next 2 days, thanks to Joan's visiting niece. Paul and Odie and enjoying it - so am I!

3 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

whose head did you cut off?

Anonymous said...

The tree??? If they would have scheduled the reunion in June like I expected it to be, I would have gone. Home from LA on 7/18--off to Ohio on 7/20-7/25 and reunion is the 23-24. That is why it was a no go! :(

lgold said...

Yeah - the tree's head.