Friday, April 9, 2010

Liking people

When we like someone right away, is it a case of seeing qualities in them that we have? (or think we have?). I began thinking about this today when I was pondering people I've enjoyed hanging with at my various jobs through the years. (see blogs from months past to read about my exciting and not to exciting careers).

Take my little buddy at work at the Wallace Building, Becky Jolly. She's nearly half my age. Okay she's thirty - and preggers, due any day with child number two. Becky is nice to everyone - much like me. Alright, I'm not exactly like that, but I usually try to avoid being a jerk. I take time to word emails and letters just right so not to offend anyone's feelings.

And at my last job, our consulting firm engineer Christine was another youngster - from Chicago. You'd think we wouldn't have much in common. But she's something of a smart ass, and is smart - not afraid to let people know it. I liked that about her. Because I can be like that myself. Christine and are friends too - though we don't get a chance to see each other as much these days.

What does attract us to others - as friends, mates? Is it opposites attract? Or similarities?

No comments: