Saturday, April 17, 2010

Vacation is over







But I'm okay...really. Because vacation week always goes really quickly - like fast forward time. And I had something to look forward to when I got home (besides the usual Odie's happy dance to see us). Amy will be here for a day - a quick trip to Iowa from her home in Colorado.

You might have noticed, I left my computer at home. Yep, a big step for me. But I was okay with it. Paul actually hinted around that he'd like to drag a laptop along - but I said no. I don't think there's wifi at the condo in Marco Island anyways.

And truthfully, I wanted to "let it go" and be computer free for a while week. (I still had my trusty Blackberry anyhow). And I was good with that little tiny screen being my laptop substitute. I could check Facebook, CycloneReport, DM Register, NY Times - all the good stuff. But no blogging.

How was my vacation? Very nice...worth waiting for - though about mid February would have been a hell of a nice time to get out of the f'in hell hole that Iowa was about then. Florida had a chilly winter this year too - for them! And it's been a very rainy spring - there is water everywhere. Regardless - it was a lot nicer than Iowa was.

What did we do? Hmmm it was pretty basic. My sis Cindy from Vail, Colorado was there - her husband Bolder (his real name is Brian - that's his nickname) doesn't do beaches well, so he stays home with the cats. Our typical day:
Up around 8ish, eat breakfast - for me, granola cereal with banana and strong coffee (Cindo insists), Paul eats English muffins, Cindy - a bizarre collection of whatever she feels like
Next - long walk on the beach after forging down 19 flights of stairs (it's really 18 flights as they don't have a floor #13 - superstitious lot). I would get a little dizzy during the stair thing. Then we'd go either north or south, for an hour or more. great workout! Plus Cindy and I talked the whole time.
After the walk, we'd take a short break - then it was down to the pool, or a bit of lunch and then down to the pool. Where we'd read, with an occassional dip. It was kinda windy, and overcast at times - I'm glad it wasn't full sun all the time or I'd be fried! As it was I got plenty of sun, plus a couple callousy blistery things from walking.
Later in the afternoon it was shower time - then I'd whip up lemondrop martinis, or Cindy and Paul would drink Chardonay and Coronas. Then we'd go to our favorite places for supper:
Little Bar - Twin Lobster Tails for Paul and Cindo - Blackened Shrimp for me, then on Thursday - C and I had Grouper Almondine and P had the shrimp
We went to the Crazy Flamingo 3 times! They have the best Peel and Eat Shrimp. Plus other stuff - last night I had a mild fish with Thai sauce. Good wings too.
Wednesday it was Porky's for ribs - and karaoke - lots of local talent - not us.
And how could I forget Joeys? Best Pizza ever? Plus yummy Caesars salad.

We did shop one afternoon when it was overcast - but that was it. Plus we went to the movie Date Night - very funny! Not too taxing. I read 4 books. Paul read 2. Hated to leave. Can't wait until next year!

No comments: