Saturday, April 3, 2010

My new friend Kathy


I just finished reading Kathy Griffin's "A Memoir According to" Official Book Club Selection. What a hoot! That woman could be my meangirl friend. Or maybe not - we may be too much alike. AND - get this - we share the same birthday - even though I'm a couple...okay 3 years older.

But the book is damn funny. And a little mean. I've never seen her show. Nor her stand up. It might be a little over the top. But I like it.

She had one prime time gig - as Brooke Shield's side kick on an early 2000's show Suddenly Susan. I may have watched it a few times. She tells all about that show. Or maybe not - she probably kept some stuff back. Hollywood is an ugly place me thinks.

Now she stars in a reality show on Bravo called My Life on the D list or something like that. Here's what made me laugh out loud - when she won an Emmy (a non primetime one, so not aired when we might watch) she had this statement all ready to go, with help from a witty writer friend

" A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this than Jesus. He didn't help me one bit. If it was up to him, Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer) would be up here with that damn dog. So all I can say is suck it Jesus, this award is my god now."

Now I don't care who you are - that's funny. Okay, if you're all religious, it prolly isn't, but if God doesn't think that's funny, then I don't want to go to heaven. God has to have a sense of humor! She said lots of groups got all up in arms about the speech and one even took out an ad in USA today dissing her.

Another funny thing about the book is that just like some of the books we read for book club, it's got a section in the back where some mysterious person asks the author questions (these are snarky and funny - as are the answers) and then there are tongue in cheek book questions. Our group would have a blast with these!

No comments: