Sunday, April 18, 2010

Learnin' to Fly

But I ain't got wings...but I have figured out this whole security thing. So it's likely it will change soon. My system: I wear slip on shoes - this time I wore my Merrell Mary Janes, with footie socks. I know - it's nerdy but my feet get cold and I'm all about function not form. I see the chicks with the sexy sandals (and their boy toys or older $ daddies). Uh uh - not for me.

With that footwear I wore capris on the way down and my new longish Columbia shorts on my way back. No belt - cuz they can make the alarm go off. Bra - definitely - again because of support (even for me) and the cold thing. Tee shirt, short sleeves in case it gets hot. Long sleeve layer - wore my cool DM 1/2 Marathon shirt on the top yesterday and got several comments. I refrained from telling them that I am a walker.

I stowed my front zip Columbia jacket in my backpack along with my purse. In my other backpack compartments I put my phone and iPid, and lip stuff (cuz old ladies have dry lips). And my book. It's a wonderful system. I can slip my license into my backpack too for going thru security.

Once you get through the indignity of security, there is the fun of sitting in tight quarters with lots of people awaiting your flight. Lucky for us, the flights were pretty quick - timing was good each time, but we weren't rushed. Flew thru Charlotte on the way down and Dallas on the way back. (No recycling bins in Dallas - what's with that??) People clapped for incoming soldiers - it was pretty cool. We had some yummy barbeque in Charlotte with green beans and good mashed potatoes, which was a nice change from fast food.

In flight - First Class. D0 they really think a see through curtain will separate the richie riches from the unwashed ordinary people? My personal opinion is that most people should take those drugs advertised on TV for people who have to pee all the time - before they fly. Why would you have to pee 10 minutes after takeoff? I guess I s/b glad I usually don't have to do that. I do restrict liquids a bit so I'm not in that position - don't like those little potties.

It's now $25 for your damn suitcase and they don't even give you a little bag of nuts. Jeez. Flying is now officially like taking the Greyhound Bus, except for the paying extra for your bag part. There used to be a bus terminal in Atlantic and I took it to Omaha with Chris Deardorff once to meet Ginger and Joe for an overnight. Very worldly!

We left our car at the Parking Spot - it's a pay spot right off the Interstate in KC - kinda pricey at $8/day, but I got a 20% discount coupon from the Internet, so that helped. They picked us up right when we got outside after our flight - pretty convenient. Travel went well I must say.

1 comment:

Alternate Leslie said...

I'm so glad you had a great time! Paul M is off on a fishing trip this
week in Missouri--new suitcase in tow because he blew a wheel on his
old one. Still enjoying my tan, but am due for a new pedicure--darn!!
LMG