Friday, April 30, 2010

I forgot

what a bad headache felt like. Until yesterday. Now I remember. Unfortunately. This weather is prime headache time. Even with my new meds - Topamax.

The Topamax has been doing great at keeping away the everyday headaches. For the most part, the only migraines I've gotten have been alcohol related. Until this week, anyways. But this is prime allergy time.

Tuesday I had a headache that didn't go away until I went to bed - even with my regular migraine meds. But yesterday I could feel one coming on already in the a.m. So I took the Frova - still I got it. A pounder, bad enough to make me nauseous. Bad enough for me to take oxycontin left over from my hysterectomy. Twice.

That stuff took the edge off - enough for me to work all day. I had cereal for supper - nothing else sounded good. Book Club was at my house - due to Thea's unfortunate accident. And the second painkiller got through that - a discussion of "the Memory Keeper's Daughter". At bedtime I just hoped to go to sleep and get over it. But no luck - awake during the night with severe pain.

More Frova finally did the trick. Ah migraine - how I happily had forgotten you. How I will do what it takes to forget you again. My years with this affliction have seasoned me to the sick feelings that go with the pain - but I still feel like crying during the night when it hurts.

I feel for people with on-going pain issues. It is very wearing. Even when it doesn't hurt you're waiting for it to. Like today. If I lived somewhere else - where I wasn't allergic to stuff there would I feel like this?

I see my neurologist in a couple weeks again. I look forward to it.

No comments: