Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sucked back into the vortex

That's what I felt like yesterday as I got closer to Des Moines - I felt like the big city was a muddy pond and I had on slippery shoes. I was too close to the edge. I slipped in. Dang!

I didn't feel it too badly yesterday - I was still basking in vacation glow I guess. But today it hit. Now I'm feeling overwhelmed. My shoulders are tense. Hmmm this may call for a visit to Chris the masseuse.

The good news - I walked down to Jimmy Johns at lunchtime. It was a gorgeous day. I took my #2 (roast beef) no mayo with oil and vinegar and ice tea to Governor's park east of the State Capitol. I sat on a bench there and read a Robert B. Parker novel, and the character ironically flies into the Quad Cities airport. Why ironic you ask? I was just looking at info on that airport yesterday because Jud is doing that internship there and may fly out of there for my niece's LA wedding.

I peeled off my jacket and sat in my shirtsleeves enjoying the sun. Kids walked by clutching their lunch bags scurrying from Capitol tours. A group of four worked out doing yoga in the grass nearby - 3 women and a black guy. I thought to myself that I couldn't see a white guy joining the group, but a black guy fit. Racist? Perhaps. White guys can't yoga...

A thought left over from our flight last weekend. We flew American Airlines - their board spiel goes like this: anyone with special boarding needs can board. Anyone in our platinum club can board. Anyone in the silver and bronze club can board. Anyone in the diamond club can board.
I thought to myself - anyone in the wood club, paper, lint in the pocket club can board.

By the end of today I did feel like pocket lint. I was very tired and I felt the work piling up. Sigh. I guess that's why they call it work.

No comments: