Sunday, April 4, 2010

Back from

Webster City, seeing the Goldschmidt relatives - always a good time. Such good folks. Hmmm seems to me it was just (way back machine switches on...) 31 years ago I went on that very trek (we stopped in Ames to pick up Jud) to meet the fam.

Paul had told his sister Jean he was bringing a "surprise". Argh - how embarrassing! If I knew him as well then as I do now, I'd have chewed his ass not to have let them know he was bringing an extra mouth to feed. They quickly put an extra plate on the table and were very gracious.

Me - I was kind of in shock. It was a lot of people. Jean and Dave have 4 kids - they were pretty young then. And George and Laura were there. I don't recall if any other family members were around...Doris? Anyways - welcome, ya'll! We like ham for Easter and we're pretty easy to get along with was what I came away with. I'm sure they were all thinking "Is this the one - not what we really had pegged for Paul." He was supposed to be the priest of the family after all.

Other memorable Easters with the Goldsmiths - we usually headed that way for that holiday cuz my folks were still in sunny Florida. Watching The Ten Commandments in the "front room" at George and Laura's place. Amy's first Easter - dressed in her little mint green Easter dress, it was hotter than blazes. We were so proud to show her off to the family.

George and Laura would have tons of candy. Laura would dye lots of eggs. We would hide them around the living room and the kids would have a blast looking for them. Paul and I would take a basket for each kid. The family gathered - mostly the locals, Carol/Irv and kids, Larry/Regina and kids - sometimes Dave and Pat would come over from Freeport with Sarah and Matt. Amy and Grandma Laura would play the organ and sing. We'd play cards and Rummy K. Good memories! I miss it. Today was a good reminder.

One year when we got home, Fabulous Mary Faber (keeper of the kitty cat) had hidden eggs all over the yard. The kids still talk about how fun it was to find them - that's one memory even Jud hasn't blocked out.

Something funny from Judson - now 21. He was at his favorite Ames bar Wednesday night drinking Dinky Wheat, his fave beer with a large group. It seems they drank the place dry of the stuff. He said he was uncomfortable at his class at the Jacobsen Building Thursday (Waa I know..) at 11 a.m. - it was hot that day, and there was some motor causing the projector screen to bounce. Not good with a hangover. Made Paul and me chuckle hearing that. Hey...at least he showed up at class!

No comments: