Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I've been to the Windy City


I've been away on a business trip - to the Chicago - the Windy City. I attended a Residential Recycling Conference put on by the top publication in the garbage and recycling world Waste and Recycling News. This was the first time this particular event was held - attended by some 500 people.

I drove to Davenport and rode with the Scott County/Davenport people. It was nice of them to let me tag along. I wasn't looking forward to trying to find my way around Chicago, pay tolls and parking etc. Kathy, who drove is an old hat at tooling into the big city (the real one not just DM). She even has that deal that lets you cruise through tolls without stopping!

The conference was at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare Hotel. It is a pretty cool place! I love high quality hotels - and pretending to be rich - it even for just a couple nights. This hotel recently underwent an update and it was pretty modern - kinda European. I had a king size bed and I'm lovin' the new linen thing where they don't put an icky not washed quilt on it. I was a little disappointed by the towels though - not too thick. Perhaps that was a measure they're taking to reduce energy use from drying them. Still...

Okay back to the conference. There were the vendor booths - not really much this state public employee needs, but I was looking out for the needs of my peeps - out in the sticks. But I felt a little awkward - I'm still now one with my new role sometimes. The speakers were pretty good, though one pet peeve is that many didn't even introduce themselves. Hello - the folks in the back would like to know your name!

Sessions yesterday ran all the way until 5:30 PM! It was a LONG day. But after that, Kathy, Michelle (whose nametag said Michael but she didn't even notice), Tim and I went to Trader Joe's - a cool grocery store that is not quite a cool as Marczyk's but is bigger and sells similar types of stuff. I got jelly beans, corn salsa, and almond cookies.

Then we went to a local Italian joint and I had a nice glass of chardonnay, lasagna, and creme brule. Then we went back to the cool motel for one more drink (I didn't have one) and I retired to NOT watch the Cyclone woman cuz I couldn't find them on the fancy TV. I got my first headache in over a week, so the Topamax is working pretty well, cuz I have had all the ingredients for a headache several times - but I didn't get one. Until I finally did.

Now I've made the trek back safely to Joan's and I'm off to bed soon as I'm exhausted. I'm not used to being with people that much. I needs me down time!

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

was it the trader joes downtown? i went to that one when i was there and got kicked out for taking pics. it was a cool place! but i still like my store better :)

lgold said...

No it was out by Rosemont? You're right your store is cozier...