Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Appetite makes the sauce

Aww - I can't say how much I'll miss Robert B. Parker. I know...I'm being repetitive. I almost want to save some books to read later - except I can't help myself.

I'm presently listening to The Professional - like many of his books, it's pretty short and isn't about much. The best part is his interaction with his paramour, Susan - Shrink with a Harvard doctorate.

The book is about sexual addiction, infidelity and blackmail. Spenser spends a great deal of his time thinking. He also does a lot of pro bono work - hmmm must be independently wealthy. He is very dependent on Susan, and that both reassures and seems to distress him.

He and Susan exchange wonderful playful banter - about their roles, sex and life in general. I enjoy how unseriously they take themselves. At one point, they are discussing the main people in the case - Gary and Beth, who are both huge hose monsters if you get my drift. Yet they don't seem to love anyone but themselves.

Spenser and Susan decide that their lovemaking is better because they love each other. That's when my favorite quote of the book comes out - "appetite makes the sauce". In other words, when you love someone, sex with them is better, just like when you're hungry food tastes better. Apt!

No comments: