Sunday, March 14, 2010

Topamax update

So I've been taking this migraine prevention drug for a few weeks now. I understand it takes a while for the benefits to work their way into your system. Hope so cuz so far, I'm still experiencing headaches and a few of the side effects of this drug.

Just last night I began taking 100 mg of the stuff after working up 25 mg per week. My side effects:
  • Tingling in feet - like my feet have gone to sleep. This isn't too irritating comes and goes. Is supposed to subside after a few weeks. Potassium should also help.
  • Ringing ears - or kind of a constant buzz.
  • Some stomach upset that comes and goes
  • Carbonated bevvies taste like those old pop bottles we left too long in the frig - no fizz left. Even though Pablo reports good bubbles exist. So I drink water and tea, that's okay.

I don't notice a huge loss of appetite - this drug has been known to cause weight loss. I may have lost a pound or two. We'll see what the full dose does.

I hope the full dose gets rid of the pesky Friday headaches. I'm starting to think that my house/pets/town (notice I didn't say husband) is my headache trigger. I'm not sure how long to allow this experiment to go on - obviously the side-effects are not pleasant. So I'm hoping for a benefit soon. If not, I'll call my doc and we'll try something else.

On a happier note I got to walk outside today with buddy Deb. My foot is feeling better! Yay! My ankle is a bit stiff, and I can feel it later, but it isn't painful. It felt great to be outside. The snow continues to melt!

No comments: