Saturday, March 20, 2010

You're not welcome here


I swiped this photo from a Facebook friend, thanks Teresa Kurtz
Get out damn snow - you're not welcome here! I just got all comfy not wearing boots. I quit worrying about travel plans each day. And then this...5 inches and wind. On the first day of spring no less.

Thursday this week wa s the best weather day we Iowans have had in some - 4+ months. It was over sixty degrees and that yellow orb was up in the blue sky. I shed my coat and even my next layer, a jacket worn over my long sleeve shirt. Then I rolled my sleeves up. The sun was shining and I was driving home to Creston after a meeting in Ames. Life was good! But rumor had it snow was on the way.

I blocked it out of my mind. I was determined to live in the day - carpe diem! Semper Fi, E pluribis unim. And all that rot. That evening, after the sun went down, it remained balmy compared to the brutal winter we've had. I let Odie out for her evening pee and sat upon the front stoop to enjoy the fact that the iceberg similar to the one that took out the Titanic had finally melted from the front yard.

And now the snow is back - but I hope not for long. The sun has more power and the snow looks to be creeping back already. But the piles where it's been scooped look unfortunately familiar.

On the bright side, the weather the rest of the week is looking better. I'm heading to Chicago Monday for a Residential Recycling Conference. I'm really looking forward to is - I should be as I practically had to kiss the pope's ring to get permission to travel out of state due to the budget mess, even though our section's budget comes not from general funds. I'm not sure if I'll have Internet access.

Tomorrow night Pablo and I will head to Ames to watch my beloved Cyclone women play in the NCAA tourney - go Clones!

No comments: