Saturday, March 27, 2010

Couple Things


I coached myself to listen more and talk less last week during my trip to Chicago. Did I listen to myself. Not very well. I am such an over-sharer. Just ask my spousal unit. And I even do squelch a few things I consider sharing.

There are worse people though. Like the guy from Dubuque we ran into at the recycling conference. The four of us - Todd, Kathy, Michelle and I, were eating lunch when Paul (not my Paul but Paul from Dubuque) came up to say "Hi". We asked how he was doing, and he said - fine now that he'd had his prostate tuned up, and he could now pee like a young boy. Hmmm too much information!

Throughout the course of the drive there and back though thinking back I realize I worked into the conversation with Michelle - who road in the back of the vehicle with me - that I'd had a hysterectomy, broke my foot and now take Topamax. It's not like she didn't share info too, but I still feel like a walking medical case...at times. I didn't mention peeing however...out of the blue, like Paul did.

I got enthused about healthy eating again watching Oprah yesterday. I know lots of people don't like the lady, but I do and I like most of her shows. Yesterday's shows featured Jamie Oliver - who is trying to get people and schools healthier and more natural.

Jamie visited a fam somewhere down south - their frig looked worse than ours. It was full of chicken nuggets and cheap frozen pizzas. (while ours only has a one pizza). He cooked up all the bad stuff in their house and piled it on their table. He noted that the color was all pretty much white and tan. He and the kids did a burial ceremony in the backyard with the fry daddy! While it sounds humorous, he said it was actually kinda spiritual and moving. I like the guy.

Then he and Oprah cooked up and meal fairly quickly meant to replace a chicken nugget meal one might purchase at Kentucky Fried or someplace like that. He did whip it up pretty quickly along with smashed potatoes - he's big into knowing what natural ingredients go into your body and your kids.

I feel badly that I didn't do that very well with our children. In our defense - that is Jamie's only job - food. He doesn't have to go to another job and rush home and have hungry people awaiting food on the table. I didn't grow up cooking, and I'm just not comfy doing it. I'm not sure how my sisters learned to be at home in the kitchen - I can clean up with the best of 'em but I'm still a cooking rookie.

Today I took my Jamie recipes along when Pablo and I went to the market. Paul kinda gave me crap in my mission - as he does. urging me to purchase margarine with lots of "good grease". In his own way he subtly sabotages my efforts. And then I give up and revert back to my old ways - and he's comfy with that. I worry that he doesn't eat healthy while I'm gone. We can't rely on youth and good looks to get us by in life anymore (hint hint to all you readers named Paul).

I'm sure I won't turn over a whole new leaf. But I'd like to try again at cooking new and healthier recipes. It's not like Paul and I are rushing around all the time anymore - we have time to cook and it's something we can do together. Maybe Jamie has a cookbook!

No comments: