Saturday, March 6, 2010

Across the street

Was where I got my Western Flyer bikes at Western Auto. First the slick aqua girls sting ray with the banana seat and the white wicker basket. Later the awesome 10 speed.

I also go my birthday mini record player there - the one I kept under my bed in the room I shared with Betso. I kept the Jackson 5 LP on it - Stop the Love You Save, ABC - all the good songs. That was a great little unit.

Back then, Betsy was only trusted with a "Close And Play" - a record player that allowed you to slip a special record into a slot and it played with a needle that was like a nail. Downstairs in the play room we had my aunt Jeanie's stereophonic player - that could play either LPs or albums. We had some Disney albums I liked to listen to like "Babes in Toyland". But I digress..

Near the Western Auto was Meyer Music - run by Art Meyer - who was the band director at good 'ol AHS. The store also sold record singles. One time sister Susi asked me to picked up the record 98.6 by Keith. Of course as a snotty lil sis I said "no" so Susi paid my friend Laurie to get it...so I ended up going to Meyer Music anyway!

I already talked about Ben Franklin in my recent Five and Dime blog. JC Penneys was next. Ah visions of my first bra - size flat. The pink box with the kitty on it (WTF) embarrassment for both Mom and me. Tober's Vogue - ladies clothing. Seiferts (not sure of spelling) which got more important as I got older, as they carried young people's clothing and employed HS girls. I think they were in the former Bullock's store - the one my Great Uncle Max ran - a store for older women. The problem with buying stuff there was arriving at school and finding out someone at the next locker was wearing the same outfit!

Fan's Pharmacy was one drugstore we didn't visit much, as we kept Rex busy. Brown's Shoe Fit (or Foo Shit) had a wide variety of styles. Bonneson's were on this side in later years. Fife's had a nice restaurant here when I was ten or twelve. Then Mr. Fife got ill and they had to sell.

As I've said before - it was a simple time, and I got go to most of those stores and purchase something with just a few words - charge it to Dave Bullock. His credit was good in town. I'm sure a few vendors got burned by some people like that. But more often than not, they got their $$. Simple was good.

1 comment:

Thea said...

I remember Brown's! I think they had a store in Harlan, too. ??