Monday, March 29, 2010

Attack of the killer warts


When we were young we were attacked by warts. Especially Cindo Bean - she had them all over her knees and hands. I just had a couple on my hands and knees.

Mom took her to Dr. Crotti (not sure of spelling) the dermo in Omaha who came up with all types of wild ass things to try to get rid of the damn things. There was acid - which had to hurt. Then they had to cook up some paraffin - wax to put on them. That was supposed to suffocate the little bastards. Yet they persisted.

Eventually I think one too many grew, they killed themselves off. So they up and died. At least for Cindy. For me it took liquid nitrogen. I remember they brought this big vat - it looked like a milk vat but was full of sizzling stuff.

Dr. Wilcox stuck a few very long Qtips into it. Then he pulled one out and put it on the large wart on my ring finger. Sizzle sizzle. It hurt but not too awful bad. There was one on my palm too. It soon blistered. A few nights later, while lying in my twin bed in my room shared with Betsy at 202 Crombie I was pressing the blister - feeling it.

Suddenly I felt it shoot off my finger! It was gone! I turned on my reading light and looked for it in vain - where did it go? It must have been my first blister - I didn't realize it simply had popped. Oh what a learning experience!

More recently, daughter Amy had a monster gym wart on her foot. We tried liquid nitrogen several times at Dr. Hoyt's to no avail. So it was on to the foot Doc. That was kind of a racket - he arranged for foot surgery, in Red Oak no less with a laser, the week before Amy's college orientation, after all her high school sports were over. The surgery went fine, and Amy clomped across ISU campus in her big footie boot.

Later the wart appeared to come back a bit - Amy tried duct tape. I hope that works! Last week my Atown homie Jeanne said she heard the otc wart removers can take away age spots. So I bought Wartner to give it a try on my hands. So far no go...but it is a satisfying bit if pain, putting the white hot freezing burn on an age spot. (picture me with a grimace of a smile...)

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

i thought the wart was coming back but thank the lord, something had killed it. or maybe if you hate something enough, it just dies.