Monday, September 26, 2011

Age 53, maturity age 10....

Some people will never grow up! And I'm one of them. I made myself laugh today. Several times. By myself. Just now again....

Today the two sections that I work in - Solid Waste and Financial and Business Assistance (FABA) of Iowa DNR met at Walnut Woods to do a Strategic Planning session  - all day. The leader of the Land Quality Bureau, Brian Tormey lead us in several exercises to help set up how we'll move forward through the next several months. In order to get started, we did an "ice breaker".

The purpose of the little exercises was to solve 30 questions - figuring out what numbers the statements stood for (the answers were the numbers 1-30). Our group of some 22 or so people was broken up into three groups. I was with Becky, Laura, Theresa, Matt, Kathleen, Jeff - and our FABA supervisor Jen chimed in once in a while. The questions started out easy - stuff like "A typical round of golf is this many holes."  Answer 18.

They quickly got hard! There were things like the square root of 256. And the British race track is the M____.

But the one that got me laughing at me and my big juvie mouth was: The number of planets in the solar system is? I asked Jeff, who was sitting beside me the answer. He said - 9. Without thinking I said, "Did you include Uranus?" It still makes me laugh. Out loud. Jen heard me say it and laughed too. Sometimes I can't help myself...it's like a little evil witty person lives inside me. Turned out the answer was 8 - they tossed Pluto out not so long ago...not Jeff's anus...I mean Uranus.

We grilled burgers and brats (supplied by the managers) for lunch along with potluck. I took calico beans that I put together yesterday with Paul's help and lots of good salads and desserts. It was all very good.

Walnut Woods was a cool place to meet - though the wooden benches got a bit hard after a while. And the walnuts hitting the wooden roof of the lodge was a bit distracting at times. Glad one didn't hit me in the head (though I prolly deserved it..) The walnuts reminded me of our old house - the walnut tree and the shed out back. Bam!

Let's hope the day away from the office translates to a great plan for our two sections.

***********

On a totally unrelated note, my sis Bets sent us this cute framed print last week, as it made her think of Odie, my darling dachshund. Thanks sis!

No comments: