Friday, September 9, 2011

Bits

I had lunch yesterday with my recy-buddy Susan Salterberg. It was good to catch up. I met Susan in 1997, my first year in the biz (as we in the solid waste profession call it. No we really don't, but I'm going to...). We were at a workshop for a waste sort, and were both newly minted recycling educators - she for rural Van Buren County and I for Adams, Taylor and Union.

We decided to room together (to save $ for our taxpayers) at the upcoming Recycling Conference in Sioux City, and a friendship was born. The first night we lay awake in our room at the Holiday Inn, chatting about our lives until the wee hours. Hey - we're rooming together again at the conference coming up in Dubuque.

Last night we met at McKims to figure out menu/food/drink needs for tomorrow's big ISU/Iowa football game. And we practiced tailgating. As a rare show of sportsmanship we allowed Paul (Hawk fan complete with hat) and Lucy Eckhoff to attend. We didn't stay too late as the Green Bay Packers were on TV and they're Paul's first love - even before the Cyclones or me...

Today I got my eyes checked by Dr. Don McKim - I made sure he didn't drink too much brown water last night. I wanted him sharp to do a good job on my wacky eyesight. My right eye isn't good. And my left eye is really bad. Unusual and hard to correct. My correction didn't change too much but I'm getting new glasses anyway - I consider them a fashion statement and do need a backup pair. The new pair are brown with blue and sparkles!

We're leaving early for the game tomorrow - 5:30 a.m.? McFees are driving. Breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls. BMs (bloody marys). I'm going to whip up a couple lemon drops just for fun and citrus. Then I'll sweat bullets over my Clones. Let's hope they show up. I'd like nothing more than to be called an Old F'ing Hag by a drunken young Hawkeye fan, upset by a surprise loss!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

you're drinking bowel movements for breakfast?! eww...