Saturday, September 24, 2011

A work of art

Beth, Alex, Evan, Todd and Olivia in front with
Jaxie the dog (named after Jack Trice - so you know their Cyclone fans!)

This is our neighbors - Todd and Beth Neilsons' home. It's homecoming week in Crestonia. What a work of art! And I'm sure this isn't the first time this week Olivia, Evan (sophomore twins) and Alex (freshman) have been TP'd.

You see, in Creston, students take homecoming week duties quite seriously. They must waste (I know - it's the waste reduction coordinator in me coming out) rolls and rolls of toilet paper late at night decorating fellow students and school staff members' homes.

We used to TP back in my day. But not as a mission from GOD! We'd grab a few extra rolls from our homes and sneak out from slumber parties to giggle whilst we decorated a few trees at a certain boy's house. We didn't go to Wal-Mart (which wasn't invented yet) and buy a 24 pack of tissue to strategically dominate a house. Kids today - so competitive!

We attended last night's homecoming football game. Creston dominated Red Oak, so we left at half time - leading 41-0. They were announcing the homecoming queen and her princesses as they walked across the field with their parents.

Always reminds me of how proud Paul and I were to walk across the field with Amy, a princess. Queen was Haley Walters, and other princesses Shawna Miller, Amanda Miller, and Amy Duree. That year Creston was playing Atlantic - kind of ironic for me. As we lined up on the visitor's side of the field to walk our beautiful girl across, who should be sitting there but our former Activities Director from AHS, Rollie Dyer - in a lawn chair. I introduced myself, Amy and Paul. A proud moment for me. (I'm sure he was thinking that do-nothing has a kid that is that successful? As they listed all Amy's awards and activities.
Not the best photo - but that's us, crossing the field

And then how proud we were of Jud during his senior year, surprising everyone as an All District punter. Standing by him down on the track for Senior Night was such a thrill. He seemed so tall, strong and handsome. And watching his 60+ yard punt against Harlan - I was a parent basking in the reflected glory of my child.
This must be the "first day of school" pic - Amy's senior year, Jud is a frosh.
Amy lined up this date for Jud - with the hottie new girl in town, Mary McCracken. Look how young he was!
By his senior year, Jud was a little more filled out and about a foot taller...

Last night was other parents time to bask. I was a little chilly. It was my time to go home early. I was beat from waking up in the middle of the night to greet my wayward husband and lay awake hearing about his hunting adventure for 2 hours.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

Thanks for the pictures! What has me pondering is, where did I get those two extra dresses from? I think one is Lauren McKee's, but I can't figure out who I got the silver one from. This is going to drive me crazy.

lgold said...

Christina Thatcher loaned you the silver one...right?