Sunday, September 4, 2011

Nearly a bust!

Wow - the first game was nearly a bust! Between rain and week play by the Clones, I was disappointed. Until the exciting end of the game - when we made some plays and pulled out a victory. Whewee coach!

We started out the day by picking up Bobbie and Jeff early so we could stop at the Farmer's Market on our way to the game.

It's started sprinkling while we were at the farmer's market in downtown DSM. Right after I had my breakfast burrito. I know, I'm not doing very well on my vow to cut down on eating post-vacation. Perhaps it will have to be post-tailgating. We got in on a Flash-Mob dance - kinda. Some dance group did a variety of dances in an intersection - hip hop stuff. Very cute. The seasons nuts that were roasting got my nod for best smelling food of the event.

On up to Ames, as it started raining right along. Yuck! We decided to hit the ISU bookstore for more Cyclone gear (as if we need anything). Paul got a visor - I lusted over a Sticks ISU print $40. It would have to be matted and framed, but I love those things - they have everything in there. Off to the game - still sprinkling. Diana was glad to see us. Don's folks - Fred and Margaret were there along with Diana's father, Jim. You might recall one year ago Diana's mom tragically died in a car wreck. We still miss her lil Italian self.

Jeff and Paul jumped into action - putting tents up. While Bobbie and I jumped into action whipping up lemon drops with the mix I found at Marshall's - Freshies. Just the kick start we needed on a crappy weather day! We used my new lemon squeezer - quite effective. Once Paul was done erecting tents he started on BMs. Bloody Marys silly! We did a taste test with several brands and Zing Zang was popular. I didn't have one - I'm waiting for next week's game.

Marilyn and Dwight showed up from Okoboji. It was M's bday! We had lots of great food. Donnie and Ryan showed up about 2 - Donnie had to do eye exams all a.m. Paul grilled thinly sliced ribeyes. They were delish! Bobbie and I shared one. We also had lil cheese cakes, pecan bars. Some really good dips and salads. Very good.

Game time. I put on crop jeans after wearing shorts all day - concerned about a cold front rumored to hit. Packed up my backpack as usual - with coat, trash bags for rain etc. When we got to the gate - I got turned away by the new security outfit due to their NO Backpack rule. WHAT? I hadn't heard a thing about it. My options? Leave my bag outside the gate for later or walk back. I fought a huge crowd going back - getting more furious with each step...others were getting in with all sorts of bags. What's up with backpacks?

When I got to the RV - all the way out nearly by Hilton Coliseum. I had a pouty drink with the McKim parents. Then walked back - I had missed nearly a while quarter of football. Bastards! I walked in behind a woman carrying a baby with...a backpack on who didn't even get questioned - she just walked in! Grrrr. And we were already behind 3-0.

The game was pretty dismal. It sprinkled, then the wind came up when cleared off. We had no offense. I didn't continue to imbibe alcohol. Our defense wasn't good. Luckily - somehow our team managed a TD right before halftime and we led 7-6. Late in the 4th quarter I decided to go to the restroom. It was such a frustrating game, we couldn't do a thing on either side of the ball - UNI was dominating. And while I was down on the concourse, we scored! Being down there must be good luck.

They scored on the next play. Oops. I decided to stay down there. 2.5 minutes left. We run it back to the 40 and start driving - heart thumping we end up scoring with 40 seconds left and thwart their last second heroics to get a field goal. Cyclones win 20-19. What an ending. I may spend the season on the concourse!

No comments: