Sunday, September 11, 2011

Speaking of heart attacks

The ISU Cyclones tried to give me one yesterday. I had to go stand in my lucky spot (at least it was during last week's UNI game) just to help beat the Iowa Hawkeyes  in TRIPLE overtime. But it was worth it in the end. What a perfect day - the friends, the weather, the big V. I wish Amy could have been there, but she was texting me from her place of viewing - a bar in Denver. What a day - Thank You football gods!

It was a little sad though...no pissy Iowa fans called me any names or anything! In fact everyone on both sides was quite civilized around us. The thing that made me the most irked (another Pat Bullock fave word) was a shirt Connor Pals had on that said "Clowns" obviously mean Cyclones. But after the game I said Clown, huh? That was it.

Bobbie and Jeff picked us up at 5 a.m. We arrived to lots of traffic around 7 a.m. I had my first Bloody Mary at 7:45 a.m. or so - we sprang into action making eggs for the burritos, getting set up for the feast there was no time to drink early. Prolly a good thing! Diana popped the pecan sticky buns in the oven.

Bobbie and I had come up with the idea to surprise Diana (D) for her 50th birthday. Yeah, I know...it was really June 29th. Remember when you were a kid. All the kids with summer birthdays celebrated during the school year anyway.  We'd sing, "Happy pretend birthday to youuuuuu". D refused to let us throw a party for her real bday. So guess what! Gotcha. I got a nice Happy 50th Birthday banner to hang up by the food. And a cool sash for her to wear. It was black and said "Fifty and Frisky!" I forgot a crown though - that woulda been cool.

Bobbie got her a great cake.

Sharon, Bobbie and I got her a real present too - a nice thermal picnic type server thingy. ISU of course so she loved it. Paul wrapped it in Christmas wrap.

Jud and his college buddies showed up. I got lots of hugs from them. Loved it, and catching up with them. Kara came a bit later. They both lucked out to get tickets - Jud says best game he's ever seen! We made sure all of them were well fed. Some Creston folks showed up as well. Our food spread was pretty swell if I do say so myself! Sharon brought some delish treat, I think it was sinful.

Finally it was game time! Paul put the Jeremiah Weed I decided to partake in, into his side pocket. I did not take my backpack. The pageantry of the event was great - the bands, the air force flyover, team entry and sirens. I did miss having D sit next to me - she let her son Ryan and buddy have tickets while she and Donnie sat by Conovers. How were we to do Jesus hands during the dicey plays? (text message of course..)

Matt Williamson was in his Cyclone overalls. It got hot...the temp and the action. Clones were good - just made some key mistakes. With 4 minutes to go, down 7 I decided I'd better get into my good luck spot from the UNI game! As I got into position, we scored to tie it up. Overtime baby! The usher said Ma'am (do I LOOK like a ma'am?) you can't stand there. It's my lucky spot you idiot!

So I went down and stood by an older couple right behind the seated people. My new friends. Back and forth the teams went. And one point, ISU was to 4th down - we had to score a TD or lose. I ran up and stood by the lucky railing - hell with the usher! We scored! Once again he shooed me away. My new friends welcomed me back to the other spot. My mouth went dry as a bone - I filled my empty water (alas my weed and water was gone) up with tap water.

I shut my eyes. I pleaded with anyone available to assist. Dad, Pete Taylor? I bargained and cajoled - it's our turn to finally win one like this I told myself and whoever else listens in on my thoughts. It didn't look good. We couldn't stop the black and gold. Until we did! They had to settle for a field goal. Then. I'm not quite sure what happened. I'd make a terrible witness in a crime. Was I in my lucky spot for the touchdown? Or just shutting my eyes. Hmmm. Maybe?!

I heard the roar of the crowd and ran for the base of Section B - awaiting my real people. In the meantime I high fived every Cyclone fan that went by me - young and old (even some baby 5s for tots). Finally Paul emerged and we hugged and jumped up and down in unison. The joy that only long suffering Cyclone fans can feel!

That hug was to be repeated with D when we got to the RV. And Apple Pucker shots. And then much later...I got to hug A.J. Klein #47 stud linebacker (I think he charted 8 tackles for the game) as he stopped by our tailgate. His parents tailgate next to McKims. He is so very cute. I know...he's younger than my son.

There you have it. My best day as a Cyclone fan. There are bound to be more to come with Paul Rhoads as our coach!

No comments: