Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mom Nature 1, Kayakers 0

My girls Pam Nelson Jepperson and Chris Watson and I talked about kayaking at our class reunion get-together this summer. Summer slipped away, but we forged ahead with our plan to go - but this weekend. We were going to go on the West Nishnabotna - starting at an outfitter's - Rubber Ducky, in Hancock. My buddy Deb was going along.

The weather didn't look the best - but rain was supposed to hold off until later in the day. So I put the kayak rack on the Subaru. I packed all the gear in the car, and put the stuff my bag that I needed. Planning on being chilly afterward - so I put sweats in, and socks. Then I watched the Cyclones eek out a victory over UConn in football - but they were underdogs, and a win is big. 3-0 baby! Deb stopped by to help me load my boat onto my car.

Saturday morning, it was in the low 50's and misting. Yuck! I headed to Deb's and we loaded up her kayak - then off we went. After we were on the road for a half hour, Chris called to say the Rubber Duckie (dorkie name) folks cancelled their kayak rental for the day. So kayaking was out - the heavy mist refused to quit.

Deb and I pow-wowed about our plans for the day. We decided to drop our kayaks off at a friend of hers in Villisca and head to Omaha. We made plans to meet Chris and Pam at the Upstream Brewing Company in the Old Market at 12:30. That gave us time to shop a bit. Good thing, as I need to find something besides kayak clothes to wear.

I picked up some gray chinos on sale at Kohl's, and had the clerk scan them on me on my way out. Deb bought some jeans and we both purchased a bit of makeup at Target. We were good to go!

Deb got along swimmingly with my high school homies, like I knew she would. Chris and Pam are single ladies, Pam is a Grandma and Chris still has a high schooler. They're fun to talk to. We decided we're still going to plan to kayak together some day.

Even the gum is funny...
Shopping in the Old Market is such fun. I love the store with magnets and greeting cards.


We ended the day by driving to the Bob Kerrey Footbridge


and walking over to Iowa and back. A bit chilly but enjoyable - especially with friends like that.

No comments: