Sunday, April 19, 2009

Quick hits

Today's Des Moines Register contains an article about how women tend to keep in touch with friends longer than guys do. An author has written a book about a group of Ames, IA girlfriends over 30 years. I think my group of friends and I would kick that group's ass.

Paul Goldsmith does stay in touch with his college friends - mostly over hunting. He doesn't have any high school friends he cares to keep in touch with. We went to only 1 of his class reunions and I found it boring. Probably because it wasn't all about me. I'm self centered that way.

I think life without pets would be much less rich. I hope to have a pet my whole life. Yeah, they're a hassle at times. But the good stuff more than makes up for it. Our friends Vic and Fred just lost their little schnauzer of 14 or so years. I'm sure they are hurtin' and that makes me sad. It's amazing what a huge hole the loss of a pet can be.

I've recently seen and read of several dispicable cases of animal abuse. One successful horse trainer out east had over 100 horses starving to death, riddled with mange on his property. He blames poor management. Bastard! Also a western Iowa kennel owner and friend dumped several dead and near-dead dogs in a Nebraska field. I think she should suffer the same treatment.

Our baby girl just completed part of a long road trip. I'm so relieved she arrived at her destination okay. Thank you to the travel gods. Please continue to keep her safe! I'm somewhat jealous of her footloose path and wish I were with her.

Aren't Sunday evenings just the most depressing? And now I have to pack up for my week away from home. Insert tears...my life has become one of many transitions. I'm so proud of myself for growing and changing at this stage of my life. But that doesn't make it easy. Once I settle into my life at the Wallace building and Des Moines each week, I'm okay.

It was just Veishea week in Ames. I remember the Veisheas of my life fondly - for the most part anyway. It was a proud ISU tradition and I hope the schmucks of the world don't screw it up. Why can't they just party stupidly like we did? Why do the have to fight on Welch Street? Last night, six were arrested. Of course that's just a normal weekend in Iowa City. And that's just the athletes. Haha.

This has been a brutal winter. There has been economic strife, illness, accidents and death. Thank God for spring! Sometimes the pains of life and growing old seem unbareable. I keep thinking that all the people before me survived the rough stuff. I can too!

Hope this wasn't too much of a downer blog. Just stuff I was thinking about on my walk today. Walking by myself makes me introspective...looking forward to breakfast with my buds in the a.m. They kick my ass and help me cheer up.

No comments: