Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!


I wish every day was Earth Day - for me it kind of is.

Today, in order to celebrate, DNR offered opportunities for employees to take their lunch time to pick up litter around the building. So, me, being the former landfill director who has picked a peck of litter, I volunteered. It was a gorgeous day and I enjoyed being outside, even if I was armed with a big bag for litter and a smaller one for recyclables.
You can't recycle cigarette butts. That's mostly what I ended up picking up. Damn smokers anyway...and most of the butts were smoked down to the filter. Why do they think the world is their ashtray?
The people walking by me on the sidewalk, most from DNR, looked at me like I was a drunk driver convict doing community service! But I didn't care. I was right at home. Trash has been a big part of my world for the past 10 plus years. When I was the landfill manager, I often busted out the trash bags on windy days to pick up litter.
One EPA email I got today asked what I might do for the environment - I was already doing all 10 of the activities! I'm not perfect - not a total tree hugger. I waste things. But overall, I'm pretty environmentally conscientious. I take my own bags to the store, or don't take a bag. I turn off lights and unplug charging cords when they're not in use. Paul and I installed geothermal heating and cooling in our home last year, and did an energy audit with our power company. I have real dishes at work and even take my own gladlock container into Jason's Deli for my leftovers.
My roomie Joan and I walked after work tonight. Waukee has a great system of bike/walking trails. It was a gorgeous day on our earth!

No comments: