Thursday, April 2, 2009

Marco Island Paradise


Left - visiting Pops and Grandma, Dunedin, FL Above - view at the Gulfview, my fave place.

I'm going away for a week starting Sunday. So I won't be writing for a week or so. I hope you all survive the brief interlude in my prolific posting. Ya see, I'm enjoying this blogging thing. It's like that old diary I had back in Junior High, and you all (all 5 of you) don't even have to use your fingernail files to pick the lock!

Dear Diary, I'm going to Marco Island, Florida to my favorite place in the whole world. Back when Dave Bullfrog, my dad was fixing to retire from his job selling Lorraine Lingerie, my folks began exploring places to live in the winter. They visited friends in Arizona, and thought that it was nice and warm. But Mom wanted the ocean.

When I was around 10, we drove to Florida (Mom, my 3 sisters and me) to visit my grandparents (Mom's parents - Pops and Gramma) who retired to an old folks community in Dunedin, Florida. We stayed in St. Petersburg at Reddington Beach. It was a grand time! In the photo above, which features all of us visiting my grandparents at their apartment, notice that my bird finger is taped up - that's due to slicing it wide open on a metal shovel that went with a little metal pail for the beach. It hurt! My Dad's parents went to St. Petersburg each winter too. They loved it so.

So, Mom knew she wanted a place on the beach. They came upon Marco Island - a small island south of Naples. They began by leasing a condo in the Gulfview building for a month and found they liked it. Once dad fully retired they started staying longer. Then in 1987 they bought a unit in the building. They made great friends with other folks who stayed there for the season. Eventually they lived there 6 months a year.

I've been many times since then. And the only person who loves Marco more than I do (now that Mom and Dad are gone) is my sister Cindy Lefebvre (pronounced Lefave). She'll be there next week with Pablo the Pool boy (my beloved spouse) and me. Part of the reason we like to be there is because it reminds us of our folks. So many memories of each of them there. There are still a few of their group of friends around the place.

We have a routine. A.M. power walk, pool or beach - rotating between the two with book/magazine. A little lunch, then back for more. Shower, and then out to one of our favorite restaurants - the very best is Little Bar, which serves excellent Cheesy Grouper (according to Cindy) and blackened shrimp. Yum.

I am soooo looking forward to being at my home away from home.

No comments: