Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stormy weather

It's been stormy all weekend. I'm tired of it. Iowa weather is quite bi-polar this time of year. Cold, warm, sunny, windy, cloudy and then - tornadic.

We had a ranch house while I was growing up in A-town, and our safe spot was in the basement - in a corner of the playroom just next to the piano. In extreme weather, mom would pack us all downstairs with blankets and she would listen to the radio. It was quite exciting for a kid!

Of course we've done the same thing with our kids, though we were very hesitant to wake them up to wisk them downstairs. Just last year Jud, Paul and I were downstairs during the rain, hail, tornado in April. Jud gets pretty freaked out and was wishing Paul had built a "safe room" in our basement. The safest spot was filled with pain cans - Jud was ready to start flinging them so he could fit.

I think the most scared I've ever been traveling was when I was driving a couple times. The wind was so fierce and the car felt like it would topple! Last year after we moved Jud into his new apartment in Ames, we drove through such a storm in between Ames and Boone. Made my heart go pitty pat!

Then last fall, cruising in McKim's recreational vehicle after a football game, a windstorm nearly wisked us off the road just before Ogden. The awning whipped out and flopped around. Don said we slid across a whole lane of traffic - good thing it was late at night! And good thing my crisp chardonnay had not yet totally worn off!

Weather is something to respect.

No comments: