Friday, April 3, 2009

Squelch


Turn it up! Remember the day of the CB radio craze? That's a Big 10-4 good buddy! My Dad had one for all his travels - he was, of course - "Bullfrog".


I'll never forget the time (insert flashback music), Betsy and I were with Mom and Dad coming home from Colorado - I think we had been out there for Thanksgiving. I was around 15 so that would make Betso-bean around 12 (okay more like 10 or 11 but who's counting..). Dad started talking to some trucker back and forth. And that guy "Colorado Sunflower" thought he'd found his new best friend! Finally Dad said "I've got 2 hungry little girls, and we're going to pull off to get some food," thinking that was the end of it.


But no! CO Sunflower said, "I've got little girls too!" But Dad signed off and we thought that was the end of it. But NO! As we were eating our lunch, the hillbilly looking guy with 2 teeth came in with his ratty wife and snotty nosed kids. (I know, and I just took a diversity training course too - but keep in mind I was only 15 years old, so that's my recollection). He walked up to our table and said "Bullfrog?" Dad made up something and got rid of him - none too soon for my 15 year old sense of embarrassment!


CB radios often just spewed out static. In that case we'd yell "squelch it please!" That turned down what you heard.


I've decided that as I've aged, my squelch control has loosened up each year. I'm so full of knowledge and experience I can hardly keep quiet! So that has been my Lenten goal - to turn my squelch back up and be a better listener! I must admit I've not always been successful. Too many years of blurting I guess. But I've done better. Even with the end of Lent near, I plan to continue striving for better listening skills!


Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Thea said...

KLH8008 was my dad's call letters. I hated that darn thing with all the righteous passion of a teenager. He would always have the static-y sound TOO loud and was definitely not amenable to squelching it. haha