Friday, April 24, 2009


Ahhh, a day working at home.
My new job (okay I've been at it for four months now, but it's gonna feel new until the first year is over) is hard. I work hard at it, and the commuting part is hard. There are a lot of logistics involved, starting Sunday night when I pack my bag.
Cue "all my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...I'm waiting here beside my door" (Leaving on a jet plane - Peter, Paul and Mary song, and...written by John Denver and another guy)
I've got to put together clothes options for the week - keeping in mind the weather (especially now that it's spring and it can be hot or cold), and my schedule. I can't show up for a meeting in jeans in a t-shirt now can I? Plus I needs me workout clothes - something I walked out without this week, forcing me to purchase another pair of walking shoes. Now I have a pair for each location.



Plus I have to refill my meds. Yes, I'm my father's daughter. I recall he had a whole little shaving kit bag filled with various meds, salves and beauty aids. I've actually got one of those little pill organizers, just like an old person (argh - truth revealed). Plus I take vitamins daily, but they are relegated to a baggy. So they all need to be dispensed into the right place.



Then there's the food. I usually shop over the weekend and get my bag started of stuff for work - cereal, snacks, drinks. Then there are the cold things - cottage cheese, yogurt, leftovers and fruit. A girl's gotsta eat.


Last but not least there is reading material and a book on CD to listen to during the commute. I do keep some stuff at Joanie's place in my corner of the basement. A million thanks to Joan for that. And Krissy made space for me in the bathroom - so I don't have to drag my huge makeup collection back and forth. (LOL)



So a day working at home is a huge relief. I slept in my own bed last night. With my own man. Ahh he's a good back scratcher. Nuff said. Odie was a bit restless last night. When it's cold, she's under the covers in a minute. I got up this a.m. to walk with Deb and Susan. Patti was evidently heading to Des Moines with her momma for garage sale heaven.



Home by 7 a.m. tired and sweaty. A quick shower, breakfast and then to my comfy chair to review Qualifications from a Request for Qualifications (RFQ). I got through 5 of ten in 5 hours today, with a nice break in the middle to meet Pablo for lunch. How nice is that work day? My kitty is by my feet. Makes all that organizing and packing worth it. That, plus the 'ol paycheck. I'm enjoying the hell out of that!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Haha... I'm glad you're making yourself more at home at Joan's. It really does help to have some doubles of stuff, to keep at your week-place and weekend-place. I'm encouraged to see you are collecting more and more beauty products over the weeks.... maybe someday you'll rival my collection. But I doubt it. :)