Saturday, April 4, 2009

Marco 2




Above Paul, Me and Cindo in front of the Gulfview beachside, Jolley Bridge leading to Marco Island - always gives me chills - "I've arrived!" Mom's tree - planted by the circular drive by the front of the Gulfview. Mom's friends planted this in her memory. It's gotten really big.




I've got Marco on my mind. It's the night before we go and I'm excited! We're staying at Joan's place (where I live during each week) in Waukee, since she's such a sweetie. She happens to be in Diagonal, Iowa, south of Creston where her husband lives. I just talked to her - they just birthed a new baby calf.


Anyways...I like to mention a few more things about my favorite place, Marco Island, FL.

1. The Judge Jolley Bridge - never fails to give me chills when I see it the first time, kinda like seeing the mountains when traveling to Denver (except you gotta be closer to see it).

2. The Gulfview - the condo Mom and Dad bought a place in, the Gulfview became like their little community. We sold Dad's place last year (luckily just before the bottom dropped out of the real estate market - that way we could instead lose the $$ in mutual funds instead...). The Gulfview is right next to the resident's beach where there is a park and free concerts. There is a great view south from the Gulfview thanks to the Resident's beach.

3. The beach. It's the best beach I've ever been to. Great shells. From the Gulfview you can walk north to Tigertail beach, or south to the southern tip of the island, getting a good workout whichever way you go. The beach was refurbished over 10 years ago and there is plenty of sand for everyone!

4. The pool and pool area at the Gulfview are surrounded by beautiful plants/trees/flowers and there are little lizards to watch around the pool.

5. The Little Bar - which is actually in the town of Goodland, kindof a trailer park south of Marco. But what food! Mom and Dad loved Goodland and spent good times there with friends.

6. Crazy Flamingo - a yummy peel and eat shrimp place. They give ya paper towels for cleanup!

7. Joey's Pizza - New York style pizza, and they deliver Caesar salad with it too.

8. Porky's - when we get tired of sea food, we go for ribs at Joey's. They also feature karaoke and some good bands.

9. Jack's Lookout - a chicki hut set on stilts at the marina. Dad loved to take the grandkids there to see the fishing boats come in - the pelicans wait to get tidbits. Beer is cold. There is wifi here!

10. The Marina Store - it's not all that big, but I could spend a couple hours looking at the clothes, shoes and fishing supplies. I purchase a cool diagram map of the island which I had framed for home.


As you can tell, I love the place. When Cindy and I went down the summer of 2007, after Dad died and we were ready to put the place on the market, we spent a week cleaning out the condo. Patti, the cleaning lady made out like a bandit - we gave lots of stuff to her. Mom always liked her lots. The last day there, I wanted to hold that memory so tight - because I wasn't sure I'd ever be there again. So I feel lucky to get to go once again!

No comments: