Wednesday, April 15, 2009

el carro

If you didn't have 2 years of Spanish from Senior Seufert at Atlantic High School as I did, you might not know that means "the car". That was the topic of the nifty Facebook survey I filled out tonight. It hit upon a topic I just talked about with someone recently.

I was telling them that my daughter Amy always names her cars. I'm not sure what she named the old Dodge pickup she first got to drive to and from school on a school permit. It had tobacco dribbled down the window. Her most recent car, a 2007 Honda Fit is named Dave.

I was fortunate to be able to purchase a new car my sophomore year of college with money my maternal grandparents left me. I originally bought a horse named Jack and a stall at a horse condominium, but sold those when I graduated. My first car was a 1977 Chevy Monza hatchback - a nice red two door four speed. Manual windows, and my former boyfriend Mike put an 8-Track player in for me. It was a good car, but pretty crappy on snow. Paul liked my car so much he ended up buying the 1979 model - white.

Right before we got married, I purchased a 1982 Chevy Lumina - silver two door, but automatic this time. It had a built in cassette player. I traded the Monza in to get it.

Then in 1984 we decided to sell Paul's car and get a Monza 626 (it was named Mitch for Mitchell County where we lived at the time - guess I know where Amy gets it...). We loved that car - it was very sporty and peppy after doggy 4 cylinders. Tight steering and suspension. And it was a four door which worked well the next year when we popped out a beautiful baby girl.

When we moved to Creston we traded the Lumina in on a Pontiac 6000 - a similar car but with four doors. We kept the Mazda and Paul used it for hunting and everything! We eventually got a lovely blue woody Chrysler Town and Country Van 1989 version to do all that car pooling. It was used and got old pretty fast so we traded it on a used 1991 Van with all the bells and whistles! Automatic everything and leather seats.

Cars can be a big part of a family. Ours have taken pretty good care of us - knock on plastic that looks like wood on dashboards! Muy Bueno.

1 comment:

Thea said...

gosh, this reminds me of an old car we traded in. everyone in the family loved it so much that we used to go drive by the used car lot to see it. haha cars just seem to transcend their inanimate status.