Saturday, April 25, 2009

Career to mom


Paul enjoyed a successful first "boss man" job for USDA's Soil Conservation Service in Osage, Iowa for two years - from 1984-1986. It was a very flat county, so not much work load. The clerk Sandy was excellent and taught him a great deal! We still exchange Christmas cards with her.


I found gainful employment in the computer department at Fox River, a woolen mill. Soon after starting my job, I found out I was pregnant. I had been pregnant the fall before, but there was no heartbeat, so I'd had a D&C, ending the pregnancy in October 2004. It was pretty devastating. Things like that NEVER happened to me! And my best friend was pregnant, and I no longer was. It was a hard time.


Then the doctor said he was concerned I'd had a molar pregnancy - where the tissue becomes almost cancerous and overgrows. He said I needed to wait to try again to get pregnant until after the first of the year, which was right after I'd started the new job at Fox Sox. After January 1, the doc wanted to re-test to make sure I was okay. When I got the all clear on that med test (phew...if it had turned out bad, I was facing chemo), I was preggers in about a minute.


This pregnancy we didn't tell anyone the news except our families, until we heard the heartbeat. I had another scare when, while a few month pregnant I got a bad case of food poisoning after attending VEISHEA - must have been something I ate after the parade. I was sure I'd killed the kid, but it was a hardy little bastard. I had a very re-assuring doctor from Mason City named Dr. Dunker. He was awesome!

The rest of my pregnancy was pretty uneventful. Friends loaned me maternity clothes – and I went from “you’re not very big for being X months pregnant” to you’re huge! I gained some 40 pounds, and Paul heeded the advice never to mention to your wife that she weighs more than you.

We took a last “single” vacation to a resort in Minnesota in August. I was due October 7. In September the doc started teasing me with – “you’ll go early” statements. I believed him. I got uncomfortably huge, with painful hips. Finally, in early October I wasn’t able to work. It was depressing to be such a whale – I wanted that baby (nicknamed Turdell) out. I cried and was a bitch.

Finally, Dr. Dunker said “we’re going to induce labor Wed. October 9th!” We called our family and friends. We were so ready! The big day we traveled to Mason City very early in the a.m. When we got there they said “no room in the Inn” the maternity ward was too full I’d have to come back next time the doc was on call – Monday October 14. Shit! Sentenced to another few days of misery. I cried. (it happened a lot back then – hormones)

So the big day ended up being the 14th – which I like better than 9 anyway. I truly believe I would still be pregnant without my good friend pitocin (labor inducing). And Turdell ended up being our beloved Amy Elizabeth – 9 lb. 7 oz, ripped from my womb with forceps. Perfect baby with red hair. The hospital used her as the demo baby for “teach the parents to bath the newborn” class. I was so proud. Somehow my career didn’t seem all that important anymore… I was a mom!

No comments: