Monday, April 20, 2009

My first job - it went on and on




So the saga of my first job (with Snoboy grocery wholesaler Gamble Robinson) didn't end in Sioux Falls. It didn't end in Omaha. Yes, folks it even moved with me to Osage, Iowa. Paul and I got married on 8/28/82. (Insert wedding bell sounds).

After honeymooning in Seattle, and Victoria and Vancouver in Canada, we settled back (yes we lived in a little bit of sin prior to getting married, but keep in mind Paul had knee surgery and my sis Betsy also lived there all summer) into our third floor walk up two bedroom apartment on Littlejohn Circle in Council Bluffs, the armpit of the nation. It was partway in between Paul's job in Oakland, IA (the bellybutton lint of the nation) and my job in the Old Market (in a groinish office) in a cool part of Omaha. We weren't supposed to have pets, so we snuck Bucko the cat in anyway.

In late 1983 Paul applied for a job as District Conservationist in Mitchell County - one of the flat, low workload soil conservation jobs with the federal government. Despite my quest to be a independent workin' gal, I decided to follow my man to northern Iowa. The folks at Snoboy asked me to stay on as Office Mgr. Supervisor. I would travel to small company offices in Northern Iowa and Eastern Wisconsin.

So I began flying out of Mason City on 12 seater airplanes, through Minneapolis and then to Green Bay, WI. I hit hotspots like Sheboygan, Fon du Lac and Menominee. Man those towns had great restaurants. Plus when you're in the food biz, the managers know all the best eating spots. I also got to meet all the nice and interesting people working at the small warehouses. At one place the manager's elderly aunt worked as office manager. It was Easter and she brought homemade caramels for me. While she was working, she would start patting her hair, then snatching the sheers from her desk, she'd hack off an offending piece of hair. I heard tell she had a heart shaped bed! (you hear the darndest things at fruit houses).
Yep, I burned out of that job pretty quickly. Being gone Monday through Friday made it hard on our young marriage. Wait...that's what I'm doing again now...(without the newlywed part). Flying on those small planes was stressful - especially that time we flew through a thunder storm. I applied for a job at a local manufacturing plant - a woolen mill called Fox River. Stay tuned to this blog to hear more of the continuing exciting saga.

No comments: