Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring breakin' it






Spring Break 1979 photos above - Hauser in his bibs, Moose (top right), Vicki in turquoise, Jen Deter in blue, and me in light green on the Horseshoe Bowl - note Hauser sitting and flipping the bird.

Jud (#1 son) is going on a wild trip spring break trip yet again. NOT! I don't know what's wrong with the guy - he failed to make friends with anyone who plans a trip over spring break that he can glom onto.

When I was in high school, spring break for high schoolers hadn't yet been invented. But I lucked out when I went to college, and I became bestest friends with Vicki Kim Gernand. She's a people person (she could ride with a stranger on a ski lift and have their life story by the end of the ride) and someone who loves to travel. I, on the other had, am less outgoing and like to travel.

Our freshman year Vicki wanted to ski during spring break - because "you can lay on a beach when you're old!" (yes, that's why I'm going to Florida in 3 weeks) Luckily my big sis - Cindo had just moved to Vail, Colorado the year before after graduating from Drake University with a degree in Art Education. Cindy lived with 2 other Drake grads in part of a house.

Vicki and I were nerdy ISU Freshmen. Cindy was cool and sophisticated college grad in Vail. V and I packed pretty much all the clothes we had for the trip - we flew into Denver and took a bus. I took hanging clothes for God's sake! We had to take the shuttle bus in Vail to Bart and Yetti's (restaurant named after 2 dogs) where Cindy worked. How embarrassing! We slept on the foldout couch. A Teaching Assistant from ISU stayed with one of Cindy's roommates stayed in her room and smoked dope. It was very eye-opening. Skiing was fun, as was hanging with my cool big sis.

Our sophomore year Vic and I saw a sign on the 'vator (elevator) in our dorm - looking for girls to ski in Breckenridge. So Vic (the outgoing one in the group) called the number and that's how we met the Big O (before it meant THAT - at least to me!!). Jolene McGill was highly Organized and kinda bossy, which lent itself to her major elementary education. So we went with 5 girls to stay in a nice condo in Breckenridge. They were quite thrifty and we cooked most of our meals at our condo in a crock pot which they had brought along. Impressive, no? We stayed friends with those girls thru the rest of college.

Our junior year we talked our flatmates Jane and Sal into giving skiing a try, along with an Atlantic friend, Jennifer. The week before spring break, Moose and Hauser surprised us by agreeing to go too. It was quite different having dudes along - they pushed us to our skiing limits, dragging us up to the Horseshoe Bowl, a sheer drop that was scary as hell. Vicki and I booked a semi-private ski lesson with a guy named Olaf - we pictured a hunky young Norsky dude, but he was yeah, about 80 or so (at least in our 20 year old eyes).

Our senior year was the topper - we had over 20 people in the group, including my new hunny bunny Paul G. Goldsmith. We slept in a top bunk built for 1 person, but hey young love. Vic and Fred (who got shitfaced after driving us all the way to Breckenridge thru the snow) got the wider bed down below. I rode out to ski in Fred's dad's huge Lincoln - 7 people, no seatbelts. One morning Paul ate 17 pieces of french toast, only to have Mike Huston eat 18. We had a great time, doing jumps, hiding wine and cheese on the mountain each morning to enjoy on our last run of the day.

Man I was lucky to have friends, like Vicki who insisted we ski for break each year! This year it's Marco Island with Paul and Cindo - and Coronas and books.

No comments: