Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jesus comes first

I got stood up by a priest for a lunch date today. Yep, a guy with a collar (Fr. Howard Fitz) failed to meet me at Chef Joe’s today. We were supposed to meet at 11:30 a.m., so by 12ish even the waitress was feeling sorry for me. I’m sure they wondered why I wasn’t calling him on his cell. I would have, if he had one!

So when I finally did order and made my way back to work after lunch, I called his office to see if there was some religious emergency – perhaps last rites were needed, a rush job. Jesus does come before Leslie, the sometimes doubtful one.

But he emailed back and said he’d had a nice lunch at a place called Alba – down the block from Chef Joes. He’d forgotten my cell number and I guess the name of the restaurant we were meeting at. Oh well, I forgive him! He does have important stuff on his mind. I haven’t seen him for years though – so I hope we make another date real soon. This time we’ll go somewhere in his neighborhood, so I make sure he shows up.

I had a hot supper date with my roomie Joan and our friend, former Crestonite, Cyndy. Joan and Cyndy grew up not far from each other, but hadn’t seen each other in years. It was very enjoyable, and social after my solo lunch deal. I had a lovely lemondrop martini and a taco salad. A good time was had by all.

It will be a busy next few days as I go home tomorrow night, back to the Big City Friday a.m., Pablo the Pool Boy is picking me up here for a trek to Northfield, MN to visit our college friends – 3 couples. I’m excited to see all my old friends that knew me when I still had nice tight skin and no age spots! I’ve got more character now…right?

No comments: