Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Call me Barney


I just took the Facebook "What Character are You from the Andy Griffith Show" challenge. It's just like a reality show except I can take it in the privacy of my own home without TV exposure.

I consider myself to be more like Andy - so I'm not sure how I ended up being Barney. I'm glad I didn't end up Aunt Bea, because she didn't get to do much besides cook and talk to the guys in the house. I wouldn't want to be Floyd either - he was kinda creepy, like a pervert or something.

True story - my father attended military school with George Lindsey - Goober Pyle on the show. Goober wore that wacky hat and worked at the filling station. When I was a kid, one time we drove to Ottumwa to see Goober (George) as he was appearing at a telethon for something. I remember he had a watch that was all 5's (it's always 5 o'clock somewhere).

Andy Griffith didn't quite measure up to my all-time favorite old show "Leave it to Beaver". Did June ever really say "You were a little hard on the Beav tonight Ward!"? If so, I didn't hear it.

My friend Robbie Dob was kinda like Eddie Hascall when we were growing up. You know how slick Eddie tried to be. When Robyn came over to play (she was like 7 years old) she would tell my mother "What pretty shoes Mrs. Bullock!" enthusiastically. Even though Mom was in her cleaning clothes. Mom knew when she was having smoke blown up her ass. Mom was a pretty savvy broad - just like her #3 daughter.

No comments: