Saturday, March 21, 2009

Best comedy movie

Oh, damn - I can't pick just one! There are so many good ones. I've always liked a good comedy flick. When I was a kid, we got to buy these matinee tickets for the local movie theater. I think the tickets were something like $.25 each - when you bought a sheet of 10 or something. Big Bucks!

We saw flicks like Francis and the Talking Mule, and The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. Remember those news reels they would play before the movies? And the cartoons - Pink Panther! Our theater ran an advertisement with this red haired kid who said "popcorn, and candy!" while food and candy flew by his head.

In the lobby of the theater, there was an ancient vending machine (it was probably state of the art for that time) for pop. You put your money in and a little plastic cup dropped down along with some chipped ice and then wala: the soda of your choice. At the Atlantic Theater, if your cup was a certain color, you won a FREE MOVIE TICKET. That seemed like big stuff to me!

I used to like to purchase Lucky Charm suckers. They were only a nickel and were as big as your mouth. The edges of these giant suckers would wear down and get sharp - cutting the edges of my mouth. But oh it was so good. Sometimes naughty kids would throw stuff from the balcony into our hair.

There were also some double seats upstairs - for those people who wanted to sit real close to each other! That's where I held my first sweaty hand. Aww how romantic.

So, drum roll, my fave comedies in no particular order:
Airplane, Animal House, Caddyshack and more I'll think of later.
I want to hear from you! What are your fave movies?

2 comments:

Kris said...

I need to see Airplane... Do you own it? If you do, bring it to Joan's for us to enjoy!

amy e. goldsmith said...

she does own airplane! i know this because i stole it last year and brought it up to ames. never watched it there tho...