Sunday, March 15, 2009

Here saber tooth kitty kitty kitty


That line was from a cartoon, but I can't remember which one. I always liked it though. It reminded me of my first cat, Bucko.

Bucko would have been a saber tooth had he been born at the right time. I adopted him from a shelter in Sioux Falls, SD - the location of my very first "real" job. In college I majored in Public Service and Administration (PSA) much to my parents' chagrin.

"What the hell can you do with that?" I can just hear Dad saying when Mom broke the news to him that I wasn't going to be a veterinarian after all. I'd discovered that:

a. you had to have pretty much a straight 4.0 grade point to go to vet school.
b. having a 4.0 grade point didn't go with having a social life and drinking 3+ nights a week
c. I was getting a D in Biology 101 - not a good sign (sidenote, I re-took the course sophomore year after I learned how to study and received an A)

I spent a couple semesters searching for the "right" major for me. I wasn't sufficiently rural (my dad sold ladies underwear for God's sake) to be an Animal Science major. I tried journalism but lacked the killer instinct to go for the jugular on stories. But I took a sociology course and it clicked. I also did well in political science and economics. What combined all of those in the Ag College? PSA! This major was actually a good pre-law major, or set up grads to work in the ISU Extension Program.

Neither of those appealed to me, but hey I loved my advisor, Eric Hoiberg, father of Fred Hoiberg future ISU and NBA basketball star. Eric was a sweetie and just the thing for a very shy and non assertive girl from Atlantic, IA. I think my parents worried a great deal about how I would make my way in the world due to my lack of self-esteem.

When my partying (ur um school) years wrapped up, I bought an outfit and signed up for interviews at the Curtiss Building. I was very selective - anything that sounded do-able. I ended up interviewing with Gamble Robinson a grocery wholesaler out of Minneapolis (they sold Snoboy Fruits and Vegetables) and the interviewer and I ended up talking about skiing (see post below about my spring break trips during college). He must have been convinced that "hey if she can ski, she can be an office manager" because a few weeks later, that company offered me a job!

I had been in a panic thinking I'd be forced to move back home. No Way! So I was thrilled to accept a position as Office Manager at the Sioux Falls branch of this company. It seems Nancy the 30 something Office Mgr. tragically had a stroke. She was expected to recover, but it would be a while. And the office staff loved her. (open door and insert new college grad who knows nothing about produce, offices or South Dakota)

Mom and I took a trip to Souffles (that's what I called it) and I selected a furnished apartment to live in. Who cared if the mattress was bad and it was right by the Interstate so I couldn't open the window if I wanted to hear the TV. I didn't mind the neighbors who fought a lot and I could hear each word through the thin walls. (it made me feel at home, really)

I probably learned more in that job than I had (at least skills to do a job) during my prior 20 (counting Mrs Lewin's nursery school) years of school. Karen, the assistant office manager had been carrying the ball when it came to the office work. She was a strict task master and I felt incompetent since I couldn't even run a damn 10 key adding machine with all my fingers. I didn't know any grocery lingo or where towns in SD were. She made me feel stupid - which I was when it came to that stuff.

I ended up living in Sioux Falls for 10 months - during which time, I mastered the adding machine, learned how to do the job pretty well and won Karen and the other office staff over with my unassuming smart-ass style. I could do a whole 'nother column about Kermet Torgerson, the Branch Manager for some of my time there. In fact I will this week. He's was a WWII Veteran and f'in crazy.

During the time I lived in SF, Paul was the only person besides my parents to come and visit. We'd dated in college mostly my senior year, but I didn't think it was anything permanent. When he came to visit, that's when I really got to know him - away from the distractions of college - to find out what a good person he was. I also adopted a kitty, who didn't really like people (he'd been an orphan) and Paul put up with said Saber Tooth.

Fate and karma intervened in our lives when Paul accepted a county soil conservation job in Oakland, Iowa (20 miles from Omaha) and I was asked to transfer to the Gamble Robinson branch in Omaha - on 10th street right by the Old Market. Again - that could be a post for another day in the walk down Leslie's memory lane.

No comments: