Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Favorite Movies

Above - Sister Mary Debra, real priest - Father Art McCann (usher at the Civic Center), and me, Sister Mary Looseleaf

Facebook again got me thinking - isn't that the beauty of it? That and all those warm friendships I'm nurturing by typing on a computer. LOL

Anyway, I did a Top 5 Movies list, but 5 really doesn't cut it - it's just too few for so many genres!

Of course my fave movie of all time is Sound of Music. I've loved it from the first time I saw it - in Sensaround at the Indian Hills Theater in Omaha. The music, Maria, the Captain - all perfect. Plus those crazy nuns! Who could ask for more in a movie - comedy, music, drama. I used to have the cassette tape and loved to bellow along to the songs.

Once, when interviewing for a job, I pumped myself up with "I Have Confidence". There was also the time Deb and I dressed as nuns for "Sing Along Sound of Music" held at the Civic Center in Des Moines. It was such fun! In addition to songbooks, the audience got props and parts where we were supposed to hiss (when the Captain's blond bombshell lady friend was on screen). We even got to go on stage during the costume contest. A group of people dressed as Alps won - and rightfully so!
My very favorite part of my very favorite movie is when the Captain catches the kids teaching Maria how to do the traditional folk dance the lendler (sp?). He steps in - and that's when they first realize they have a thang for each other. Plus I love it when the nuns disable the nazi cars by removing distributor caps and say "I have sinned!" Too funny! I even used the SOM wedding march in our wedding, though people didn't begin to sing "How do you solve a problem like Leslie" thank God!
After the SOM singalong deal, Deb and I kept out nun outfits on for a trip to Olive Garden. What the hell - our hair was flattened by the habits. They did seat us pretty quickly and our tip to our waiter? Be good, young man. No, not really...we left $$

No comments: