Sunday, March 1, 2009

Breakin' up is hard to do


Photo at left shows me with my sisters - demonstrating that they got the hair gene that I'm missing. Left to right Betso, Me, Cindo and Suso. (youngest to matriarch).
Breakin' Up
I had to break up with my hairdresser this week. (Are we supposed to call them that? Or are they all stylists now?). It’s not her, it’s me. I just can’t drive to Corning for my monthly ‘do now that I’m commuting to the Big City.

It WAS hard to do – we’ve been together now for some 10+ years. We took a break a couple times – when she had babies. But we always got back together – because she cared enough to write me and invite me back. I worked in that area each month so it wasn't a special trip just for hair.

Letting someone invade my personal space isn’t easy for me. I don’t let just anyone touch my head! Add to that, the fact that I’m inept when it comes to doing hair, which is embarrassing in a way. Since I am a girl and we’re supposed to be good at that stuff. So when I get used to a hairdresser, and they understand that about me, I usually stick with him/her.

During the past twenty two years that we’ve lived in Creston, I’ve really only gone to three different people. Last Friday, I just knew it was time, so I dialed Hair House in Creston after consulting with Patti about potential hair-doeers during our a.m. walk. I made an appointment with Amber who was very nice and did a fine job on my locks. So today I wrote a short “Dear John” note to Sherry to let her know I won’t be back. It’s was the right thing to do, but I’m kinda sad though. I enjoyed hearing about her young family and filling her in on mine.

Alas, my hair is now getting gray enough that I can’t just highlight it to hide the cursed offending hairs. Sherry had been preparing me for this day for the past couple years. And Amber at Hair House confirmed it. Time to move onto Lowlighting and Highlighting. Shit! Wonder how much that’s going to cost?

I wish I had the type of hair that just turned a pretty silver overnight. I could live with that. But no, it’s a butt ugly salt and pepper, blotchy and wiry. Gray hair and wrinkles I curse ye! (that’s me having a moment, disturbed by signs of aging) But that doesn’t make them disappear. So I’ll continue, at least for now, my battle through the miracle of chemical enhancement. With my new hair guru.

No comments: