Sunday, March 8, 2009

Frozen Tundra

Just back from visiting some of our college friends in Northfield, MN. That's where it snows 9 months out of the year. Not really, but they do seem to be about a month behind us when it comes to weather. At least in the spring. In the fall they're a month ahead!

See, here in balmy Southern Iowa it's already been 70 degrees. All the snow has melted - more than once. I was chilly the whole time I was up there. But those Minnesodans are a hearty lot! They just bundle up.

Anyway - we got to see 3 couples we have known for 30 years or so. Moose and Kay, Vic and Fred and Hauser (Steve) and Ann. Jeez - 30 years. That sounds like it should come from someone who IS old, and I don't feel that way. As I've said before in this blog - there is nothing like an old friend. They know all your stories, but laugh anyway (or perhaps because they thought it was funny 30 years ago and they still do).

I like that we can pick up where we left of with old friends - no need to wonder if they are some psycho-flake, who might seem like a cool person we'd like to know better, but turns out to be nothing like we thought. We know our friends' families, siblings, parents and pets.

Our friends' kids seem like nieces and nephews. We've celebrated each of their births and milestones like graduations. While our own chillins couldn't attend this trip, we did get to see some of the kids.

Kelli is the eldest - belonging to Vic and Fred. She was the "trial child" who all our children looked up to. She's now 24 and was kind enough to buzz down from the Twin Cities to see us. V&F's 2nd child Lauren is now a college frosh, and while usually quiet, she regaled us with stories of campus life at St. Olaf - a liberal arts college in Northfield.

M&K's Jaime was pretty much the reason for this wintry trip north. She is a high school senior and was visiting the U of M as a potential for her undergrad years. (I hope she is as lucky as I was in finding friends!). Jaime is a bit of a genius - scoring a perfect 36 on her ACT. We always knew she was intelligent, but WOW! Alyssa is her lil sis, and they seem to pretty close for sistas. Alyssa is outgoing and has always been quite a character. She's now a high school frosh.

We didn't get to see Steve and Ann's fam, as it was adults only at Buca de Bepo - a family style Italian joint in the Cities. It was a lot of fun and much like a family meal, we sat at our table long after the main course was devoured. The Hauser kids sound like they're doing fine - all growing up quickly as kids tend to do. Rachel, Ethan and Gracie keep their parents busy.

After we got home, we played Wii - my first time. Yep I was a Wii virgin. (don't worry I used protection - Vicki made sure we sealed the safety cord around our wrists so we didn't throw the controller thru their new flat screen). I sucked at cow races, and Paul was the worst archer ever.

I hope to post photos of our night as soon as someone emails me the evidence. Our drive home thru - gasp - snow, sleet, rain was not fun. We stopped in Ames to take our #1 son to lunch. He's turning out pretty good if I do say so myself. Then I talked to #1 daughter after I got back to my home away from home in Waukee. Sounds like all is well in Vail Valley.

Can't wait to go home Thursday - until then, there be garbage dragons to slay...

No comments: