Friday, February 25, 2011

Switch-a-roo

Today, when I finally got home after a long week at work (I usually get to go home on Thursday...but not this week), I made whiney noises, jumped around, and licked Odie the weiner dog's face. No...not really, but I wanted to! I was thrilled to be home and to see my little puppy dog, the kitty, my very special chair, relaxing bath tub, beddie bye - welp, you get the picture. I was homesick. My pool boy didn't get home from work until 5ish. I missed him too.

I stayed in DSM to attend a workshop put on by the Iowa Recycling Association at DMCC (the community college in Ankeny) on Social Networking - learning to use stuff like Facebook, Twitter, blogs, LinkedIn and more (Four Square? - that was a game we used to play a recess with one of those rubbery red balls) to market one's product/business/non-profit etc. Even though I had to stay away from home an extra night, it was worth it.

The presenter was Nathan T. Wright (ISU grad so he's got that going for him..) an interesting and knowledgeable speaker on the topic. Check out his biz website here: 
http://www.lavarow.com/
Nathan is the guy with the tiny little head under the "meet the team" heading on the right side of the page. His head is much bigger in real life.
(this website and information could be especially helpful for someone living in Denver who is a graphic design major and may be thinking of future career moves...there must be stuff like this in the Mile High City..).

I learned a great deal - just hope the folks at work might be open to the opportunities presented by these technologies. I would love to see Iowa DNR as a place Iowans can go to in order to find safe disposal information for - well...whatever they need to get rid of! On my drive home to Creston, I couldn't help but think about the ways small businesses in town could utilize Facebook and blogs to keep their names out there. Interesting stuff! Now - I have some dancin' to do at a benefit for Creston's Women's Shelter.

No comments: