Friday, February 11, 2011

Chick parties

Bobbie had a Silpada Designs Jewelry party last night. It was nice and relaxed - no awful games to play, or high pressure sales talks. Just the wares displayed and the catalog. I ordered some earrings.

Do you remember the first marketing party you were invited to? I think my first order was Tupperware - a non-party, at my job at Gamble Robinson in Sioux Falls. I ordered the brown canisters - I still have 2 left. One kicked the Tupperware bucket. I probably should have returned it. Does that stuff have a lifetime warranty?

Oh, honey I've been to lots of parties since then. I can't recall what the popular home decorating company was in the 1980's. Everyone had the stuff on their walls - sconces, mirrors etc. I was never wild about the stuff. Home Interiors, that's it! When I worked at First National Bank, it seemed like somebody had a party nearly every month.

Home parties are popular because it gives chicks a chance to get together. There are usually refreshments - food and sometimes alcohol. It can give ladies a chance to show off their homes. The attendees feel compelled to purchase something, though I'm better about "just saying no" than I used to be.

I once went to a Beauty Control party at Mendy's house. We did our colors - establishing which "season" we are. I'm a winter. I know - with my lilly white skin - you're not shocked about that, are you. I bought a few things, but generally dislike stuff I have to order when I can purchase perfectly good makeup at a store without the hassle.

I have attended several Longaberger Basket parties - even before my baby sis got into the biz. Mary Faber used to be a basket lady - she even talked me into having one of the only Chick parties I ever had. I did something wrong when I sent the invites though, and few people showed up. Someone said they didn't get their invite (I know...likely story...) Mary felt sorry for me though and still let me have my big basket at half price. I'm lucky that now I have my Betso connection and can get my baskets and pottery from her! I'm fixin' to get all new everyday pottery in April when it's on sale.

I've also been to a couple Premier Jewelry parties. What's that one that sells cooking stuff? I got a great mixing bowl from that outfit. Every once in a while someone at work puts a catalog out there for orders.

I must say, the strangest party I ever attended was the sexy stuff one Bobbie had - back in the early 90's. She even invited her mother-in-law! There was racy lingerie, sex toys and lotions and the like. We were able to make our discrete orders away from the other party-goers. Even today I still have some flavored oil that should probably be tossed. Does mocha oil go bad?

And I probably shouldn't tell the story about the sexy underwear I left in Jud's suitcase (I forgot it in one of those side pockets), when I borrowed it for a romantic getaway weekend for Pablo my sexy Poolboy and me.

I just hope Jud never found the racy undies...as I'm sure it would warp him for life...sure did make me laugh when I discovered them the next time I borrowed that bag for a work meeting though! Still brings a smile to my face.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

that's funny because it brings a disgusted on-the-verge-of-puking look to my face.

maryf said...

Yes, Mocha oil goes bad! Toss it!!
Thanks for the mention on the Longaberger parties; I should have been starting my Masters degree instead of selling those baskets...but it was so much fun sometimes!!! m