Saturday, February 26, 2011

Benefit weekend

Last night's benefit Fish Fry and Dance at the Williamson American Legion Hall. We met up with the Mcs - McKims and McFees at Crestmoor for a drink before we hit the road in McKim vehicle. Donnie took on driving duties as it snowed right along. Thanks Mom Nature for that! (NOT)

They had a nice crowd for this event, benefiting the Rural Iowa Crisis Center - helping families who have had a rough time. Our friend Linda Kilgore, who has had some rough times herself was one of the organizers. I'd never been to Williamson, but it's a lot like many other old halls - 3 seater women's room with curtains for cubicle doors. Paneling exactly like our old house - before we painted it. Brown and dried out looking...built in booths with a stage and a large open area for dancing in the middle.

The food was good - fish and chicken, slaw, beans, cookies - all donated along with the labor arranged by Linda and other organizers. Tickets were only $10. The did an auction around 9 PM followed by a DJ - who played mostly country, but later in the night he broke loose with some rock. We had fun dancing on the slick wood floor.

Drinks flowed and I had to go for a Vodka Tom Collins - enjoyed watching the ancient barkeep guy mix it up. First some mixer, then Squirt, then Seven Up, Vodka, Grenadine and mixed it all with a big spoon. Took about five minutes. Pretty sweet, but the show was good! Later I switched to vodka tonic, but no citrus in the house so I was forced to utilize a green gummy bear as a substitute, just to make my drink pretty.

I laughed harder than I had in a long time last night. It was fun to see my friend Linda Kilgore, who lost her husband Rudy a year ago, enjoying her new honey my friend Mick Landers. I spent a great deal of time with Mick when we worked together on the household hazardous materials program. It was nice dancing with my honey. And all for a good cause!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

next time tell your friends to refrain from sending me gross texts. i almost puked for the 4th time since december 31, 1993.