Saturday, October 23, 2010

Victory is mine


I love our coaching staff - Paul Rhoads is a player's coach and gets every ounce of effort from his players. They celebrate the big victory - first ever over Texas in football.
Just because I cheer for a team that won. Pretty lame, I know. But that's what trips my trigger. I roll with the ISU Cyclones win or lose. Throughout my 34 years as a Clone fan, they've mostly been losers. It's rough to cheer for a loser.

But one gets used to being kicked and being down. Oh I never accept it. I have a chip on my shoulder, as do most real Cyclone fans. We feel there is a media bias in Iowa - at least there is when one reads through cardinal and gold specs. And the refs usually favor the big money teams, right? Texas and Oklahoma have budgets and donations that make ISU's paltry sums laughable. Yet our teams continue to compete.

This past summer the Big 12 Conference nearly broke up - in fact 2 teams left including our neighbor to the left Nebraska. The other is Colorado - two of our original conference the Big 8. Yet it seemed the local press - television and newspaper personalities and writers were giddy over the potential demise of ISU, who might have been left high and dry. Why would they want the Cyclones to be left out of a major conference?

I thought they said some things I thought were spiteful and mean. When ISU ended up forging a deal with the remaining Big 12 teams, all were shocked and tried to downplay their earlier predictions of my school's demise. Screw 'em.

That is why a victory like this one, over the very team who all said control the Big 12, feels so damn good. It may not be the Texas of years past, but they still have all that 5 star talent, were ranked #22 and the same coaching staff. Plus the ego of the fan base is unreal. How dare lowly Iowa State beat them on their home field!

I admit I was waiting the whole game for the real Texas team to show up. The Cyclone players pretty much whipped them up and down the field, not giving up a touchdown until late in the game. This is the same team that just gave up 100+ points to Utah and OU that past 2 weeks. Humble thy name is ISU.

I guess that's why they play the games Longhorns - you don't get to win just because your supposed to! And Cyclone fans get rewarded, just like last year's win at Nebraska, with a delightful surprising victory. So sweet.

No comments: